No announcement yet.

RISC-V With Linux 5.19 Allows Running RV32 32-bit Binaries On RV64, Adds Svpbmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V With Linux 5.19 Allows Running RV32 32-bit Binaries On RV64, Adds Svpbmt

Phoronix: RISC-V With Linux 5.19 Allows Running RV32 32-bit Binaries On RV64, Adds Svpbmt

On Tuesday the RISC-V architecture changes were merged into the in-development Linux 5.19 kernel with several new features in tow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this has already been reported

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      this has already been reported
      What do you mean?

Comment

This RV32 on RV64 support is interesting since the Linux kernel has always catered to 64-bit RISC-V and not much in the way of modern RV32 usage I am aware of at least where someone would be chasing mainline Linux usage.
        ????

A period is missing between usage and I as well as "one use-case" should be added between least and where.

My Mom's in the hospital and this is a helpful distraction for me.

Comment

Basically this is the risc-v version of x86 on x64, or wow64 if you use windows.

Comment

Something to consider is *if* riscv builders ever become a real thing and distros start building binaries, this will make it much simpler to build riscv32 binaries on riscv64 builders.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What do you mean?
              this exact article was already published recently

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

this exact article was already published recently
                Link?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Link?
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My same criticism applies here as there:

Not only are they dealing with fragmentation due to manufacturers not matching the spec, but they're also introducing their own "let's support 32-bit binaries forever" headache. This really is the ISA run by downstream/closed-source industry interests.

Comment

That article was about a proposed merge request. This article is about the merge request being merged. There's a difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X