Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Pico W Launches For $6

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Pico W Launches For $6

The newest member of the Raspberry Pi family is the Pico W and will set you back $6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

seems like this could be used for interesting things, might pick one up

Comment

If I need WiFi ... then why would I use this rather than ESP32?

Even after you add an external WiFi module to Raspberry RP2040,
      ESP32 still has more more peripherals (and more memory, consumes less power in deep sleep mode, etc.) and is also cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

ESP32 still has more more peripherals (and more memory, consumes less power in deep sleep mode, etc.) and is also cheaper.
        Well, at least they are adding the feature it should have had in the first place.

Comment

Didn't the Pi Zero cost $5?

I know they are slightly different usecases but the more "embedded" chips should generally be cheaper. Is this price high because they are only creating them still in very small batches?

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

The custom IO finite state machine can be a game changer in some applications.

Comment

When the Pico originally came out it has been weird to compare it to ESP32, which has WiFi for the same price. Now it is at least comparable, but you are buying it from RPi Foundation and not a chinese clone of an ESP32 board, for the same price, so why not?

Comment

Might be worth playing around with in single quantity. A little expensive? I wonder how long until suppliers have them.

Comment

Funny how in a day of chip shortages and crappy entry-level GPUs being sold for $200, people find this microcontroller expensive, when many alternatives aren't really cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Didn't the Pi Zero cost $5?

I know they are slightly different usecases but the more "embedded" chips should generally be cheaper. Is this price high because they are only creating them still in very small batches?
                    Here's an excuse: The $5 Pi Zero got bumped up to $10 when wireless was added.

Comment

Working...
                    X