Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Linux 9.0 Released As Free RHEL 9.0 Alternative

Phoronix: Rocky Linux 9.0 Released As Free RHEL 9.0 Alternative

Rocky Linux 9.0 was officially released today that joins the likes of AlmaLinux 9.0 and Oracle Linux 9.0 as free alternatives to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What (technical) benefit does Rocky have?
    Alma seems a lot quicker with these releases and also develops tools like ELevate.

Comment

Originally posted by Henk717 View Post
      Alma seems a lot quicker with these releases and also develops tools like ELevate.
      Cooler logo. Cleaner default background.

I own 5 hammers, each of a different brand. Their technical benefits are very similar. None of them are quite as good as *BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Cooler logo. Cleaner default background.

I own 5 hammers, each of a different brand. Their technical benefits are very similar. None of them are quite as good as *BSD.
        I ain't going to lie, I like the Rocky branding better myself as well I also like that the founders seem to have roots to the start of CentOS from what I understand. But it also seems like Alma has done some good things, so who knows. Things often change and evolve over time so we will see.

Just picked up a TrueNAS device for a work usage case, running TrueNAS CORE, based on FreeBSD 13 and running ZFS. Seems like a nice product, and was starting to think FreeBSD might be a good OS for this sort of things. Still learning the ropes though.

Comment

I also assumed Rocky would be the winner, but Alma has smoked them on quick releases, and will likely have gained a lot of trust and goodwill. I ultimately, they're identical products. Speed of releases is almost the only differentiator.
          Fortunately it should be easy to switch between them should something change.

Comment

Originally posted by Henk717 View Post
            You can try Oracle Linux with uek kernel.
            UEk kernel uses newer kernel version than standard red hat kernel and optimized for performance on newer hardware as it is intended for high performance servers.

Comment

Why is everyone saying Alma is better because they released 9.0 first?

this is a boring (stable) server distro, you probably want a slower more calculated release.

Comment

As I understand it, Rocky were working on a big upgrade to their build system. In any case they are doing a lot better than CentOS did at times.

Comment

Originally posted by BillT View Post
                  As I understand it, Rocky were working on a big upgrade to their build system. In any case they are doing a lot better than CentOS did at times.
                  That's a good point, the old classic CentOS was absolutely glacial in getting new major versions out the door. Things have come a long way since then.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    Why is everyone saying Alma is better because they released 9.0 first?

this is a boring (stable) server distro, you probably want a slower more calculated release.
                    Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                    X