Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Lands Fix For A Trivial Lockdown Bypass Bug

Phoronix: Linux Lands Fix For A Trivial Lockdown Bypass Bug

Merged this afternoon to the mainline Linux 5.19 Git kernel and set for back-porting is a fix for a new security bug. Oracle made public CVE-2022-21505 on Tuesday as a trivial bypass to the Linux kernel's lockdown mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lockdown can be used as tivoization...

Comment

The simplest fix for the simplest bypass. I like that

Comment

I hate Lockdown mode. I use Secure Boot with my own keys enrolled, but Lockdown blocks some really useful things like for example undervolting (access to MSRs is blocked). IIRC it also bloxks access to ec (embedded controller), so no fan control on laptops. Plenty of other things, too. Maybe it's OK for some high-security nuclear plant or whatever, but not so much on a regular desktop/laptop where the owner is the user. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
          I hate Lockdown mode [...] where the owner is the user
          I am the owner of my laptop and love lockdown mode

Comment

oof - that's getting dangerously close to log4j-tier stupidity... :/

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
              I hate Lockdown mode. I use Secure Boot with my own keys enrolled, but Lockdown blocks some really useful things like for example undervolting (access to MSRs is blocked). IIRC it also bloxks access to ec (embedded controller), so no fan control on laptops. Plenty of other things, too. Maybe it's OK for some high-security nuclear plant or whatever, but not so much on a regular desktop/laptop where the owner is the user. IMHO.
              That's because on a regular desktop/laptop, the owner is no longer the user. And where it still is, they're working really hard to fix it.

Welcome to the new world.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

That's because on a regular desktop/laptop, the owner is no longer the user. And where it still is, they're working really hard to fix it.

Welcome to the new world.
                I know and I hate it. Digital slavery.

Comment

Working...
                X