Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Driver Improvement Will Yield Quicker Startup For Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Driver Improvement Will Yield Quicker Startup For Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Phoronix: Mesa Driver Improvement Will Yield Quicker Startup For Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

AMD Linux graphics driver engineer Pierre-Eric Pelloux-Prayer has made an improvement to Mesa's common code that should yield much faster start-up times for Valve's Counter-Strike: Global Offensive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not playing this game, but wonderful optimization!
    Glad to see Mesa advancing so much.

Comment

Good find Michael!

One thing though: it had taken 150 seconds for CSGO to start up? Gosh that is over two minutes.

Comment

I have a weird experience with CSGO for years, or I use Steam Flatpak or I need to keep opening the game until it run, generally 3 times. The problem is that sometimes it updates and make even harder, today I tried at least 20 times.

Awful port, even using dxvk instead of ToGL.

Funnily enough, it's the "flag game" (sorry, idk a better way to express myself) of the most linux-friendly dev.

It would be awesome if they allow to use Proton on CSGO. Proton supports EAC but not VAC, this is really curious.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
          150 secs - 10 secs is indeed a very welcome improvement, I always assumed is was valves source engine at fault.

Nice to see Michael is a player also, Giving bot tom a good seeing too in that screenshot
          Epic gamers moment

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
            I have a weird experience with CSGO for years, or I use Steam Flatpak or I need to keep opening the game until it run, generally 3 times. The problem is that sometimes it updates and make even harder, today I tried at least 20 times.

Funnily enough, it's the "flag game" (sorry, idk a better way to express myself) of the most linux-friendly dev.

It would be awesome if they allow to use Proton on CSGO. Proton supports EAC but not VAC, this is really curious.
            I'm in the same boat. I'm running PopOS + Wayland w/ Nvidia and getting it to start up is a crap-shoot (If i recall, it was the same with Ubuntu 20.04 + X11). It also frequently gives me a `csgo_linux.sh is not responding`. Runs like a dream once I'm in, but it can be an uphill battle.

Comment

Haven't played cs for about 20 years but it is still nice to see it around and being played a lot. And of course seeing such improvements on Linux for it

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post

The port is great, running great on Arch at least, and has better performance than on Windows... Maybe the port is not the problem.

Comment

So this huge performance fix is a fix for a workaround from 2013. I have mixed feelings about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                    So this huge performance fix is a fix for a workaround from 2013. I have mixed feelings about this.
                    Welcome to game engines + OpenGL/DirectX11 or earlier. The reason why NVidia is seen to have such stable drivers (i.e. GeForce experience) is their ability to apply these kinds of workarounds on a game by game basis.

Comment

Working...
                    X