NVIDIA 515.76 Driver Released With Bug Fixes, Linux 6.0 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 515.76 Driver Released With Bug Fixes, Linux 6.0 Compatibility

Phoronix: NVIDIA 515.76 Driver Released With Bug Fixes, Linux 6.0 Compatibility

While not as exciting as this morning's GTC 2022 keynote and the introduction of the GeForce RTX 40 series, NVIDIA today released 515.76 as their latest production series Linux driver build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With being another update to the R515 Linux driver series,
    Not sure if this looks awkward

the 515.76 release isn't particularly exciting. Though it does have a fix for RTX 20 "Turing" and newer GPUs where
    Is a dot really proper here?

But as it stands now it looks like the 515.76
    Missing comma?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Not sure if this looks awkward
      It is awkward. Should be "As"

Is a dot really proper here?
      No.

You of all people calling a period a dot?

Missing comma?
      Technically, yes. It's the "But" that's throwing you off. There shouldn't be period before it.

You know what? I'm bored. I'll just rewrite the article.

While not as exciting as this morning's GTC 2022 keynote and the introduction of the GeForce RTX 40 series, today NVIDIA released 515.76 as their latest production series Linux driver build.​

As another update to the R515 Linux driver series, the 515.76 release isn't particularly exciting though it does have a fix for RTX 20 "Turing" and newer GPUs where there could be excessive GPU power draw while idling under X11 or Wayland when running a high resolution display or high refresh rates. So, if you were affected by this excessive power issue while idling that is now fixed up. There is also a fix for a crash under the X.Org Server during NvFBC screen capturing when hitting vRAM capacity.

The NVIDIA 515.76 driver also appears to have support for the Linux 6.0 kernel, albeit unofficially. With Linux 6.0 stable not expected to come out for another two weeks or so, there is still a chance for breakage that could impact the NVIDIA kernel module but, as it stands now, it looks like the 515.76 release should work with the 6.0 kernel barring any last minute changes.

The new NVIDIA stable Linux driver update can be downloaded from NVIDIA.com. There are also the updated NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel modules for those going that route.​

NVIDIA should be introducing their next release stream (R520) soon in preparation for RTX 40 series support and other changes.

Comment

- Turing and later: fixed possible excessive GPU power draw on an idle X11 or Wayland desktop when driving high resolutions or refresh rates.
        Reported and pestered by me :-)

"A fucking useless Linux hater", as reported by numerous eminent users of these forums.

Edit: I've installed the new driver and there's 0 difference. Maybe they've forgotten to enable something or actually push the change to stable.
        Last edited by birdie; 21 September 2022, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Phoronix (comments section) is the best place to learn English grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Reported and pestered by me :-)

"A fucking useless Linux hater", as reported by numerous eminent users of these forums.
            But NVIDIA is evil, you're supporting the enemy!!!

(sarcasm btw)

Comment

Originally posted by cooperate View Post
              Phoronix (comments section) is the best place to learn English grammar.
              It really is! Its hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Edit: I've installed the new driver and there's 0 difference. Maybe they've forgotten to enable something or actually push the change to stable.
                They're never going to fix it, it's been 5 years of them continually "fixing" it and the only thing they've been able to fix is how fast cards enter lower power states, which only matters if they would fix all the issues with cards not entering low power states.

5 years later and my 1080 Ti is still stuck in the P0 performance state and continually consumes 65W. Only solution to get it to drop down to P8 is to not use 120Hz+ refresh rates or 4K displays.

I can get it to go idle at P8 when the displays blank with DPMS, but when using EDID overrides that breaks in two ways with my card not moving out of P0 and the driver breaks after an extended period in DPMS and won't unblank the outputs.

Comment

On my PC running Debian 11, since the release of kernel 5.19.6-1, the Nvidia driver 515.65.01 no longer works. Unfortunately the 515.76 driver is no better off. So I have to settle for using an older kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Namelesswonder View Post

They're never going to fix it, it's been 5 years of them continually "fixing" it and the only thing they've been able to fix is how fast cards enter lower power states, which only matters if they would fix all the issues with cards not entering low power states.

5 years later and my 1080 Ti is still stuck in the P0 performance state and continually consumes 65W. Only solution to get it to drop down to P8 is to not use 120Hz+ refresh rates or 4K displays.

I can get it to go idle at P8 when the displays blank with DPMS, but when using EDID overrides that breaks in two ways with my card not moving out of P0 and the driver breaks after an extended period in DPMS and won't unblank the outputs.
                    And I thought that is a issue from my system. Actually have the same issue with 240 Hz + 144 Hz. Really sad.
                    Gladly mine does use just 40 - 50 Watts. Which is still very much in idle.

Comment

Working...
                    X