Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LLVM Clang 15 Delivers Some Small x86_64 Performance Improvements But Mostly Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang 15 Delivers Some Small x86_64 Performance Improvements But Mostly Flat

Phoronix: LLVM Clang 15 Delivers Some Small x86_64 Performance Improvements But Mostly Flat

Released last month was LLVM/Clang 15 and since then a number of Phoronix readers have been inquiring about Clang 15 compiler benchmarks or there the lack of on Phoronix. I've been testing various Intel and AMD systems with Clang 15, but it hasn't been particularly exciting -- but that's not a bad thing, just that it doesn't make for particularly compelling benchmark articles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I’m mostly interested in seeing a feature complete release of llvm-libc. The release of clang forced GCC to make improvements the project otherwise probably wouldn’t have made. Hopefully some competition in the fully featured libc space also creates a competitive mutual improvement with glibc.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      I’m mostly interested in seeing a feature complete release of llvm-libc. The release of clang forced GCC to make improvements the project otherwise probably wouldn’t have made. Hopefully some competition in the fully featured libc space also creates a competitive mutual improvement with glibc.
      I keep looking at github to watch it's progress, but it's difficult to see how far along they are to a fully working libc

Comment

What do you think comes first: A fully working libc or a Clang-built glibc?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          What do you think comes first: A fully working libc or a Clang-built glibc?
          The scope of "fully working" libc is a pretty broad scope and depends where and what it's being used for. Still quite a lot of work to do. The situation with glibc is a typical GNU shitshow.

Comment

Working...
          X