Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Gets Patched For WiFi Vulnerabilities That Can Be Exploited By Malicious Packets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gets Patched For WiFi Vulnerabilities That Can Be Exploited By Malicious Packets

Phoronix: Linux Gets Patched For WiFi Vulnerabilities That Can Be Exploited By Malicious Packets

A set of Linux kernel WiFi stack security issues were made public today. The Linux 6.1 Git kernel has now merged fixes for these vulnerabilities while the fixes also work their way to being back-ported to existing stable series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From what I've read some of them allow to DoS your device (cause a kernel crash) while it's simply looking for a network to connect to.

That's quite scary sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      From what I've read some of them allow to DoS your device (cause a kernel crash) while it's simply looking for a network to connect to.

That's quite scary sh*t.
      Nope, this is serious:

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        How does this have anything to do with the topic?

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
          Some people get too emotionally attached to arbitrary things (here, OS of choice) and get defensive at the minimum suggestion that the thing may not be perfect. Looking for something worse (or perceived as worse), even if unrelated, is a coping mechanism.
          Other people would rather see the thing they like improve

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Some people get too emotionally attached to arbitrary things (here, OS of choice) and get defensive at the minimum suggestion that the thing may not be perfect. Looking for something worse (or perceived as worse), even if unrelated, is a coping mechanism.
            Other people would rather see the thing they like improve
            Some people are exaggerating things and the one I replied to is known from this when comes to Linux related topics. DoS is nothing in comparison to privilege escallation.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

It does, because it will take hours or few days to fix unlike on Windows which sometimes take years.

Comment

Patching this on normal desktop systems is relatively simple. But I guess that this will lead to exploits against embedded devices (like wireless access points or routers) for years to come.

Comment

It does, because it will take hours or few days to fix unlike on Windows which sometimes take years.
                  That's not entirely true. It only takes years because Windows system maintainers don't bother to update.

Comment

Some people are exaggerating things and the one I replied to is known from this when comes to Linux related topics. DoS is nothing in comparison to privilege escallation.
                    I guess I'll take your word about who you replied to, I don't keep scores. I agree on the latter, but the point wasn't whether you were right or not (you ARE right), but whether anything merited the mention in a topic that isn't about Windows. If Windows came to scene, at least for me as an observer (again, I have no idea about the past history of other users), it looks like it's to be used as a defense of Linux. A defense that really is not necessary. Bugs happen, some are scary, some aren't, it's just how things are. Neither Windows nor Linux are bug-free. This one is fixed and all that's missing is for it to propagate to distros, so we can rest easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X