Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 107 Released With HEVC Hardware Decoding, Other Additions

Phoronix: Chrome 107 Released With HEVC Hardware Decoding, Other Additions

Google today promoted the Chrome 107 web browser to their stable channel across all supported platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Enabling support for HEVC hardware decoding with supported GPUs/drivers.
    Really, will that work on Linux?
    Does this browser have working hardware acceleration in general on Linux?

Comment

That's a terrible alignment value. Should have been 300Hz so 50Hz and 60Hz timers aren't affected.

(If I am missing something I apologize)

Comment

Over on the Chroem Release Blog are more​
        Please, please, sleep a bit more...
        Last edited by tildearrow; 26 October 2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Ugh Michael, why...

Please, please, sleep a bit more...
          I wish...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            From my experience, on wayland it doesn't work at all and on X11 it's supposed to work but doesn't.

Comment

Chromium on wayland is still a shitshow. At least on KDE it can't go over 60fps plus vaapi and Vulkan don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                That's a terrible alignment value. Should have been 300Hz so 50Hz and 60Hz timers aren't affected.

(If I am missing something I apologize)
                Given most content is actually 24*1000/1001, 30*1000/1001 and 60*1000/1001, which will judder with precise 60hz timers, 300hz isn't the solution you might think it is. Freesync OTOH really does fix it. And mpv actually adjusts the audio to align the playback speed to the physical refresh rate, as well as optionally doing temporal frame interpolation. Press I while playing to see what the actual output frame rate is.

BTW, the Linux scheduler doesn't actually run faster than 100hz (unless you compile your own kernel with CONFIG_HZ set to something higher), so 125 isn't going to help most people on this forum, let alone 300.

Yes Chrome can busy-wait to achieve higher than 100hz, but the intent is to reduce resource usage, not increase it, so I'm certain that they're using sleep()!
                Last edited by linuxgeex; 25 October 2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                  Chromium on wayland is still a shitshow. At least on KDE it can't go over 60fps plus vaapi and Vulkan don't work.
                  Vulkan and high refresh rate (144 Hz and 170 Hz monitors) do work for me on GNOME Wayland (of course, without using XWayland) on both my Renoir and Navi 10 GPUs. Plasma might need a little more bugfixing.

But I'm afraid the hardware acceleration issue is something we can't do much about, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Enables support for decoding HEVC video on platforms where hardware (e.g., GPU, media accelerator, etc) for decoding HEVC is available (Android 5.0+, macOS 11+, with supported hardware on Windows 8+ and ChromeOS).

Comment

Working...
                    X