Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Plane Now Shipping Zink To Avoid Vendor OpenGL Drivers

Phoronix: X-Plane Now Shipping Zink To Avoid Vendor OpenGL Drivers

As written about last year, the Laminar Research developers responsible for the incredible X-Plane flight simulator software have been working to make use of Mesa's Zink for leveraging OpenGL atop Vulkan to thereby avoid vednor OpenGL drivers that can vary in quality across platforms. With X-Plane 12.04b3, that goal is finally realized...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

great to see this land, recorded a video taking the included F14D for a spin around the mach loop in VR only last night.

just need nvidia to fix hardlocking X11 when you close steamVR and all will be right with the world.

Comment

Why would they want to use Zink if they already support Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        Why would they want to use Zink if they already support Vulkan?
        As stated because numerous of the plug-ins for X-Plane rely on OpenGL.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As stated because numerous of the plug-ins for X-Plane rely on OpenGL.
          I'm blind. Definitely missed that. Thanks Michael

Comment

Nice to see Zink getting adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

Hold up, there's a flight simulator game that isn't MSFS, natively available on Linux, with VR? That sounds interesting!

Is X-Plane advertised anywhere? When was the VR support added? I'll have to look more into it but I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this until now
              https://www.x-plane.com/ It's available on Steam.

Note that this is NOT a combat flight game. It's strictly a flight sim.

X-Plane has supported Linux natively for a long time. I don't own it myself so I can't speak for or against it.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"avoid vednor OpenGL drivers" should be "avoid vendor OpenGL drivers"

Comment

That could be a green phoronix t-shirt "avoid vednor -Phoronix"

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
                    Michael

Typo

"avoid vednor OpenGL drivers" should be "avoid vendor OpenGL drivers"
                    Looks just fine to me after popping some pills.

Comment

Working...
                    X