Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SELinux In Linux 6.4 Removes Run-Time Disabling Support

Phoronix: SELinux In Linux 6.4 Removes Run-Time Disabling Support

After being deprecated for several years, Security Enhanced Linux "SELinux" beginning with the Linux 6.4 kernel can no longer be run-time disabled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Make it more usable.

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
      Make it more usable.
      Learn to use it.

Comment

Good!

It sounds really stupid to be able to disable it at runtime. Sounds like it makes it a lot less secure and defeats the purpose of SELinux if it can be disabled so easy at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Good!

It sounds really stupid to be able to disable it at runtime. Sounds like it makes it a lot less secure and defeats the purpose of SELinux if it can be disabled so easy at any time.
          Presumably "sudo setenforce 0" will still work. Otherwise my local Apache is hosed...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Good!

I suppose it may complicate future Android rooting.

Comment

This is a short-sighted Linux-breaking feature to me. Surely the "genuis" authors of this change understand that the more code you have, especially code written by the NASA, the more bugs you have. Ideally we would increase security by removing this Googleware (spyware) but then where would the money to the authors go........

Comment

That's to bad. For home use it is one of those things I disable out of the gate. Now I'll have to do it at the kernel boot level. So it goes with security. Anything to make it 'harder' to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                  That's to bad. For home use it is one of those things I disable out of the gate. Now I'll have to do it at the kernel boot level. So it goes with security. Anything to make it 'harder' to do things.
                  Yeah... i have often found the Linux security model to be more about abusing the end user. At home or in the corporate environment! Its one of the major reasons why Linux is unable to break into the small business realm... it's just way to painful to try to do simple things around permissions, especially if you want to move data out of the default "package configured" directories.

More secure? Maybe... Deeply painful bordering on useless? 100%... (specifically wrt the non-cloud operators).

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Learn to use it.
                    The time required to learn to use it correctly is likely comparable to learning a foreign language. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X