Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Begins Cutting "Hundreds Of Jobs"

Phoronix: Red Hat Begins Cutting "Hundreds Of Jobs"

The tech layoffs have now reached Red Hat with "hundreds of jobs" being cut and the initial round of layoffs being announced today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's too bad, I guess the whole systemd department will be gone and they'll be returning to sysvinit then.

Comment

IBM, which acquired Red Hat in 2019
      It began then, now we see the result (among other variables/factors that resulted to become this)...

Comment

I wish the best for those who are affected in all the tech layoffs. It seems lucky it hasn't hit me or anyone I know at this point. I hope Fedora and all of Red Hat's other Linux contributions aren't affected by these or future reductions.

Comment

If they're looking for people to cut, they might want to start here: https://www.redhat.com/en/about/our-...uity-inclusion

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            That's too bad, I guess the whole systemd department will be gone and they'll be returning to sysvinit then.
            We can only pray 🤣

Comment

"we will not reduce roles directly selling to customers or building our products​"

"building our products" leaves quite some room for interpretations. Could mean "products we sell" and turn down on open source investment which are not their products / they do not directly sell.

Could mean less involvement in desktop development. They are not responsible, but a factor in Gnome, GTK and systemd (and many others). Could mean less support for Fedora too. Their devs are quite .. everywhere.

Good luck to all who loose their job over this, I wish you to find another satisfying and well paying employment you enjoy.
              Last edited by STiAT; 24 April 2023, 01:47 PM.

Comment

You have to know how IBM functions with the HR decisions now.

"layoffs" are a code word for a talent refresh.

They announce layoffs regularly and send them packing through the front door, but they hire just as many on the back side.

It keeps the compensation costs down, it allows IBM to shed average talent on a regular schedule and replace them with new blood.

You always hear that they are laying off, but they never tell you how many were hired in the background.

Comment

When they announced the IBM buy this was my biggest fear. IBM leadership spent the last couple decades cutting expenses to keep shareholders happy. Now they are a shadow of what they were.

I think I'm not alone in my fear for Red Hat in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by ppcorp View Post
                    We can only pray 🤣
                    Maybe Debian needs to have layoffs? And Arch?

"You're fired."
                    "But, you can't fire me, you don't pay me anything."
                    "You're fired anyway. I'll need you to leave the building and turn in your badge at the security desk."
                    "But - you're standing on the front porch of my house."

Comment

Working...
                    X