Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After A Strange March, Valve's April Numbers Show Steam Linux Numbers Appearing Inline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After A Strange March, Valve's April Numbers Show Steam Linux Numbers Appearing Inline

Phoronix: After A Strange March, Valve's April Numbers Show Steam Linux Numbers Appearing Inline

At the start of April there were the Steam Survey results for March 2023 that showed a 0.54% dip to the marketshare. With that were als some strange shifts in the Windows 10 vs. 11 marketshare as well as a big boost to the Chinese marketshare. The March numbers were not revised but with the start of May comes the April numbers... Showing a boost to Linux and largely recovering from the April anomaly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think Valve should give some kind of monetary benefit to developers/publishers that releases games in Steam targeting SteamOS.

Like Valve taking a smaller cut or straight up loyalty money or “free” programmers, like what ngreedia does, to screw AMD with their sponsored games.

Comment

Hmm SteamOS does not automatically mean SteamDeck, as I run HoloISO on my computer, I certainly fall into this category..!

Comment

AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405 0.30% +0.12% Simple way to see the number of Steamdeck hardware in survey is look up the GPU.
        Linux over all percentage by the percentage of those "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit​
        1.32*22.77% =0.30

Other than rounding errors all steamdecks are running SteamOS Holo by the different surveys that includes the march one.

Yes 0.12 of the 0.48 movement is steamdeck numbers change. That still leaves 0.36 movement.

Yes there was a lot of talk that people with Steamdecks would be putting windows on them but the steamsurvey shows absolutely no sign of this being common.

The free programmer stuff of Nvidia gets Nvidia unique quirks into games.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelQC View Post
          Hmm SteamOS does not automatically mean SteamDeck, as I run HoloISO on my computer, I certainly fall into this category..!
          There is a count of the steamdecks in the steam survey its right here "AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405 0.30% +0.12%" Steamdecks have a unique GPU.
          Next is converting the "SteamOS Holo" numbers for Linux systems back to global 1.32*22.77% =0.30%. Yes 0.30%=0.30%

This is like everyone that installs Windows or different Linux on a Steamdeck that gets counted someone using HoloISO must be counted to keep these number balanced. Because the steamdeck GPU number(AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405) and the and the "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit numbers are in perfect alignment with each other in every survey.

I would say people installing HoloISO is rare. People install windows or other OS on a steamdeck is rare. Reason the lack of noise in the numbers between steamdeck hardware we can count by GPU ID and SteamOS Holo percentages. Randomish steam survey should have noise where the SteamOS Holo number move away from steamdeck GPU hardware numbers if other OS were commonly installed on the steamdeck or the SteamOS Holo was commonly installed on non steamdeck hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
            I think Valve should give some kind of monetary benefit to developers/publishers that releases games in Steam targeting SteamOS.
            Like Valve taking a smaller cut or straight up loyalty money or “free” programmers, like what ngreedia does, to screw AMD with their sponsored games.
            Technically that's what Valve is getting by convincing every Linux gamer to buy games on their platform, it's literally the de-facto client if you want some support for Linux/Steam Deck.
            The sheer amount of investment Valve has put down (in hiring, etc) is so large to their own benefit (the rest of Linux users just benefits). And because of this everyone that hates DRM (basically everyone) tolerates Steam to a great degree. "From hate to use it as a standard" is one heck of a leap, let's see if Asia will pick up some Steam Decks (a market Microsoft never could penetrate).

Comment

This survey fluctuates too much to be useful. AMD magically lost 9% of its Windows CPU market share (!!) in March and gained it back in April.

Comment

The combined graphs show that March got a huge presence of (or a bias for) a mysterious hardware with 6 core Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU:

Comment

Like I said when this last dip first happened; It seems like a bunch of gaming cafe PC's, which are on 24/7, in mainland China (where the simplified Chinese keyset is used), where you're supposed to be using their own local version of Steam operated by Perfect World switching to Steam proper and now much of them have returned to using their own local edition of Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    Like I said when this last dip first happened; It seems like a bunch of gaming cafe PC's, which are on 24/7, in mainland China (where the simplified Chinese keyset is used), where you're supposed to be using their own local version of Steam operated by Perfect World switching to Steam proper and now much of them have returned to using their own local edition of Steam.
                    Nah, they probably were just all sampled at once. The sampling is not entirely random. I've found machines I have not started for a year, and restarted often got sampled. So if they all installed official steam, they might all have been sampled at once. The sampling system is not quite as random as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                    X