Chrome 113 Released With Faster AV1 Video Encoding, WebGPU By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 113 Released With Faster AV1 Video Encoding, WebGPU By Default

Phoronix: Chrome 113 Released With Faster AV1 Video Encoding, WebGPU By Default

Google has rolled out Chrome 113 to its stable channel that includes faster AV1 video encoding for video conference calls, WebGPU is finally rolling out to everyone, and other enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I believe that WebGPU is not enabled on Vulkan / Linux yet, only on Windows.

Comment

Funny thing about Chrome/Chromium, is they have the flag "Hardware-accelerated video decode" as "Enabled", while its hashtag says "#disable-accelerated-video-decode​", which is the opposite. But it doesn't matter because there is not any video acceleration. And it has been like these for months without any fix.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Funny thing about Chrome/Chromium, is they have the flag "Hardware-accelerated video decode" as "Enabled", while its hashtag says "#disable-accelerated-video-decode​", which is the opposite. But it doesn't matter because there is not any video acceleration. And it has been like these for months without any fix.
        It works fine for me under X11

Comment

I want to use Thorium/Chromium. It seems to perform better in... everything, including GPU tasks. But its so choppy with XWayland. Native Wayland FF feels so much smoother even though it is objectively slower.
          ​​​​​​
          And if I enable native wayland in Chromium, it freaks out if my (inactive) Nvidia GPU is enabled and breaks all GPU acceleration in about:gpu. I have been trying to fix this for over a year, but the only thing that seems to work is booting with the dGPU driver completely disabled :/
          Last edited by brucethemoose; 02 May 2023, 07:20 PM.

Comment

How's the jpeg-xl rendering?

And does it have faster keylogging? Does it farm your browser history out to its corporate partners faster? These are the things we need to know about.

Comment

I've been annoyed by how worse smooth scrolling gets each chromium update. It's so inconsistent and randomly janky compared to Firefox, and for me it's the actual performance benchmark for the actual usability. It used to be the opposite a couple years ago.

They keep adding so many GPU accelerated features and optimizations and a thousand sandboxes, compositing layers, exclusive threads for farts and whatever. But for what matters to me that is moving through content it keeps getting slower :|

On both Linux/Win11 it's simple, open both browsers side to side and scroll through a heavy page like reddit/youtube. Firefox won't drop a single frame while chromium keeps micro-stuttering every single thing that dynamically loads.
              Last edited by clapbr; 02 May 2023, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
                I've been annoyed by how worse smooth scrolling gets each chromium update. It's so inconsistent and randomly janky compared to Firefox, and for me it's the actual performance benchmark for the actual usability. It used to be the opposite a couple years ago.
                Disabling that crap is the first thing I do on any browser.

Why would you want to wait and watch an animation as you scroll? It's added latency.

You already want to be seeing the new position, that's why you've scrolled.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post

They keep adding so many GPU accelerated features and optimizations and a thousand sandboxes, compositing layers, exclusive threads for farts and whatever. But for what matters to me that is moving through content it keeps getting slower :|
                  Again this may be an X11/Xwayland thing?

FF is dramatically smoother in native wayland. I don't know why, but its like night and day.

With Chromium... I’m not sure since wayland GPU accel is busted. Its mostly a tossup, but simple sites actually feel good on (busted) wayland.

Comment

Until they properly support native Wayland, Chrome is not an option for me. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X