LibreOffice 7.6 Alpha 1 Available For This Leading Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.6 Alpha 1 Available For This Leading Open-Source Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.6 Alpha 1 Available For This Leading Open-Source Office Suite

The LibreOffice 7.6 Alpha build is now available for testing this next major feature release for this open-source, cross-platform free software office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that LibreOffice 7.6 is a major improvement over earlier versions because last I tried LibreOffice was 7.5 and it was a huge disappointment.
    I also hope to see GTK 4 and Qt 6 support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I hope that LibreOffice 7.6 is a major improvement over earlier versions because last I tried LibreOffice was 7.5 and it was a huge disappointment.
      I also hope to see GTK 4 and Qt 6 support.
      Also tried 7.5 again recently after a few years of not trying LO and it's still a mess. I mean: I couldn't even get it to work properly as every setting I changed made my entire PC hang when I clicked on Apply. After a few hangs with forced reboots and reverted settings (LO didn't even apply them) I gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Also tried 7.5 again recently after a few years of not trying LO and it's still a mess. I mean: I couldn't even get it to work properly as every setting I changed made my entire PC hang when I clicked on Apply. After a few hangs with forced reboots and reverted settings (LO didn't even apply them) I gave up.
        "I failed, but it was not my fault" 😏
        Thank you, but we are no wiser...

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

I agree. So much "sturm und drang" combined with a lack of any details to help us understand the troublesome environment.

As for myself, I have used LO Writer on both Windows and Linux for years now (ASUS motherboards, AMD & Intel CPUs, and HP laptops) and never encountered issues in LO Writer. Most of my LO Writer documents are exported to PDF without error and without issues noted by users of those documents. Tables work fine for me. Text formatting, including various fonts & font sizes & effects, also work fine. Page numbering can still be a hassle, but so it is in MS Word. Currently I am on LO 7.5.? for both my Linux and Windows computers.

Comment

I also used LibreOffice since the first release. Before that i used OpenOffice. I never encountered stabilityissues. Compatibility with MS Office is not perfect but has been improved over the years. It might not be the right solution for everyone but for the vast majority it should be suitable. It is free to use, doesn't require cloudaccounts and developed as an opensource application which makes it the perfect officesuit for linux at least as a defaultapplication.

Comment

Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
              DE: KDE Plasma 5.27
              PC: Minisforum EliteMini HX90
              RAM: 32 GB of which I use pretty much 16 GB max.
              CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
              App that caused my issue: LO Writer 7.5
              Other apps that I had opened to rule out other faulty app behavior: none
              Install method: straight from the openSUSE Tumbleweed repo

Is that better?

Comment

Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
                DE: KDE Plasma 5.27
                PC: Minisforum EliteMini HX90
                RAM: 32 GB of which I use pretty much 16 GB max.
                CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
                App that caused my issue: LO Writer 7.5
                Other apps that I had opened to rule out other faulty app behavior: none
                Install method: straight from the openSUSE Tumbleweed repo

Is that better?
                Frankly, I don't care much. I don't use openSUSE and LibreOffice works great for me on Ubuntu, Windows and whatnot. Of course it has its own peculiarities, like all other office programs.

Have you filed a bug report towards openSUSE? It is likely more fruitful to bark up that tree... This is not really a support or bugfix forum.

Edit: Nice compact and powerful rig, by the way 👍
                Last edited by Veto; 13 May 2023, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Frankly, I don't care much. I don't use openSUSE and LibreOffice works great for me on Ubuntu, Windows and whatnot. Of course it has its own peculiarities, like all other office programs.

Have you filed a bug report towards openSUSE? It is likely more fruitful to bark up that tree... This is not really a support or bugfix forum.
                  So I'm presenting an experience based on an issue, you want more information and once I gave you more information, you're like “I don't care about your information, this isn't a support forum.”

???

Comment

So I'm presenting an experience based on an issue, you want more information and once I gave you more information, you're like “I don't care about your information, this isn't a support forum.”

???
                    Please read my post again. I did not request more information.

Comment

Working...
                    X