Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.9.1 Released With Many Bug Fixes, New Capabilities

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.9.1 Released With Many Bug Fixes, New Capabilities

Following yesterday's release of Fwupd 1.8.15, Fwupd 1.9.1 is now available as the latest release of this open-source firmware updating solution for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it necessary to disable securom to get updates by fwpd?

Comment

The EU apparently have made it law that all mobile devices must use USB-C for charging... now can they please for all that is good and right force a legal standard for firmware updating??

I would really like to be able to update my Samsung 980 Pro from Linux... I think there are some hack ways to do it, but would really like a standard OS agnostic method!

Comment

Giving auto agesa is a welcome feature

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          Is it necessary to disable securom to get updates by fwpd?
          No, you do not need to turn off your CD/DVD copy protection to be able to use fwupd.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            The EU apparently have made it law that all mobile devices must use USB-C for charging... now can they please for all that is good and right force a legal standard for firmware updating??

I would really like to be able to update my Samsung 980 Pro from Linux... I think there are some hack ways to do it, but would really like a standard OS agnostic method!
            The thing it, for UEFI and for NvME at least there is already standards for changing firmwares.
            And while many vendors even implement support for things like UEFI capsule update, but then do not use it for flashing, at least many NvME-vendors seems to use the standards under the hood, and the problem is more of a lack of posting the files so you do not need their often somewhat broken windows programs to check for updates.

So not so much trying to create a standard, the thing EU maybe more should focus on might rather be that: platform agnostic availability of firmwares.
            There is really a case when it comes to things like different smart IoT-devices where there are firmware updates fixing lots of things, but unless you have the vendors "hub" or other central control besides their devices there is no way of getting the firmwares, locking you into their environment, or forcing you to get a device for $100 or more that stays unused except when upgrading.
            So picking and mixing IoT devices between vendors is hell. And legislation that you should not need any additional programs or devices to get accesses to firmware for your device might be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post

The thing it, for UEFI and for NvME at least there is already standards for changing firmwares.
              And while many vendors even implement support for things like UEFI capsule update, but then do not use it for flashing, at least many NvME-vendors seems to use the standards under the hood, and the problem is more of a lack of posting the files so you do not need their often somewhat broken windows programs to check for updates.

So not so much trying to create a standard, the thing EU maybe more should focus on might rather be that: platform agnostic availability of firmwares.
              There is really a case when it comes to things like different smart IoT-devices where there are firmware updates fixing lots of things, but unless you have the vendors "hub" or other central control besides their devices there is no way of getting the firmwares, locking you into their environment, or forcing you to get a device for $100 or more that stays unused except when upgrading.
              So picking and mixing IoT devices between vendors is hell. And legislation that you should not need any additional programs or devices to get accesses to firmware for your device might be a good thing.
              You said it better than i did!

Comment

Working...
              X