Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKD3D-Proton 2.9 Released With Performance Improvements

Phoronix: VKD3D-Proton 2.9 Released With Performance Improvements

Hans-Kristian Arntzen of Valve's Linux team has just released VKD3D-Proton 2.9 as the latest major update to this Direct3D 12 on Vulkan API implementation that is used by Steam Play (Proton) for running modern Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The thing I found most interesting is "Improve VRAM oversubscription behavior when VK_EXT_pageable_device_local_memory is supported. (NVIDIA contribution, thanks!)​" huh is NVIDIA actually going through with open source efforts? That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by blackcat View Post
      The thing I found most interesting is "Improve VRAM oversubscription behavior when VK_EXT_pageable_device_local_memory is supported. (NVIDIA contribution, thanks!)​" huh is NVIDIA actually going through with open source efforts? That's awesome!
      Nvidia employees have made contributions to both dxvk and vkd3d-proton in the past so that isn't a new thing. Tho this particular one is on the bigger side.

Edit: should probably also mention dxvk-nvapi ofc
      Last edited by Blisto; 19 May 2023, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I wish they will rename this to DX12VK.
        These weird names are confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I wish they will rename this to DX12VK.
          These weird names are confusing.
          would also help to make clear that vkd3d-proton is not vkd3d

Comment

Michael

For your attention: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...hitecture.html

Comment

ARMA Reforger has graphical glitching with terrain objects.
              I haven't isolated the exact version when it started. But could affect other games that use similar engine tech.
              (they seem to be having a few games using the tech now)

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                Lol wasn't it AMD initiating the shift from x86 to amd64 !?

Comment

Its amazing the amount of work that Valve has done for Linux, but I wonder, shouldn't they offer some incentives to developers to release their games in native Linux besides Proton?

Be a bigger cut of the profits or receiving sponsorship in whichever form directly from Valve?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                    Its amazing the amount of work that Valve has done for Linux, but I wonder, shouldn't they offer some incentives to developers to release their games in native Linux besides Proton?
                    There were a few ports when Valve started their Linux efforts. They typically ran worse than going through wine, because they were nothing but quick'n'dirty translations from d3d to opengl. They were also stuck in their state, whereas proton/dxvk/vkd3d are constantly being improved.

Comment

Working...
                    X