Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Launches RISC-V Software Ecosystem Project

Phoronix: Linux Foundation Launches RISC-V Software Ecosystem Project

Linux Foundation Europe has announced the RISC-V Software Ecosystem (RISE) Project to help facilitate more performant, commercial-ready software for the RISC-V processor architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GCC and LLVM will handle the RISC-V. It will be more problematic for projects like FS-UAE or DoSBox.

Comment

Yo, WCH! Get in on this, please! You need it!

Comment

Funny how Intel is in the middle of it. Somewhere in my brain I see they trying to sabotage the whole thing so it is never as performant as their CPUs. But it could be just the case of having a foot there, in the case they had to transfer a part of their profits from X86 to RISC-V.

Comment

@M@GOid​ Intel might be interested in RISC-V, because it currently licenses the AMD64 instruction set, they do not exist in the mobile CPU market (ARM took everything), they got kicked out of the Apple ecosystem. RISC-V is an opportunity for them.

And they have enough R&D power, plus the experience needed to develop a potent RISC-V processor.

Comment

And now...XiangShan 2nd iteration is already faster than cortex A76
            They will tape out engineering samples in June, I am curious to see the performance of the core, for what I understand it has a specint of 10/Ghz, while cortex A76 is around 8.6/Ghz.
            One of the problems I see, is it scaling past 2Ghz..also we need a complete SoC..

A open-source design, made available, its awesome!

Comment

Let’s see how efficient it is.
              I just hope in the end every software will be riscv optimized/compatible because the world needs it to become the standard ISA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal64 View Post
                @M@GOid​ Intel might be interested in RISC-V, because it currently licenses the AMD64 instruction set, they do not exist in the mobile CPU market (ARM took everything), they got kicked out of the Apple ecosystem. RISC-V is an opportunity for them.

And they have enough R&D power, plus the experience needed to develop a potent RISC-V processor.
                If they're not dumb, Intel and AMD will move on to RISC-V, while providing "x86 acceleration" technology for legacy applications.

As competitors will instead rely on JIT, it will ensure most x86 users will purchase their options over the competition, thus ensuring they remain relevant a while more.

Past that, it's up to their designs remaining competitive. They have strong teams, so it can be done. But they will, unavoidably, lose some market share to other RISC-V players.
                Last edited by ayumu; 31 May 2023, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Funny how Intel is in the middle of it. Somewhere in my brain I see they trying to sabotage the whole thing so it is never as performant as their CPUs. But it could be just the case of having a foot there, in the case they had to transfer a part of their profits from X86 to RISC-V.
                  It's pretty easy to see why. They see the threat from ARM and need something that has the potential to compete with that, in those product categories.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    And now...XiangShan 2nd iteration is already faster than cortex A76
                    They will tape out engineering samples in June, I am curious to see the performance of the core, for what I understand it has a specint of 10/Ghz, while cortex A76 is around 8.6/Ghz.
                    One of the problems I see, is it scaling past 2Ghz..also we need a complete SoC..

A open-source design, made available, its awesome!
                    I would like to see an open source GPU with display output support and software support for OpenGL/OpenGLES/Vulkan to complement the open source CPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X