Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xonotic 0.8.6 Released With Various In-Game Improvements

Phoronix: Xonotic 0.8.6 Released With Various In-Game Improvements

Xonotic 0.8.6 is out as the latest update to this long-running, open-source first person shooter game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, I remember, the update before this one, was yeaaaaaaaars in the making.

Nice to see this one coming out a bit faster.

But let's not forget, this is all by volunteers. Hooray for the volunteers.

Comment

Any other interesting free, open source games that I should know about?

Maybe something with a Vulkan and/or OpenGL 4.6 renderer?

Tomatenquark and Tesseract are both dead, and Cube 2 is old. Not much happening with War§ow. I know about Alien Arena. Wasn't that long since SuperTuxKart had an update.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Wasn't that long since SuperTuxKart had an update.
        Since when do you find STK “interesting”? All you ever do is talk crap about it on every STK article.

Comment

Tomatenquark and Tesseract are both dead, and Cube 2 is old. Not much happening with War§ow. I know about Alien Arena. Wasn't that long since SuperTuxKart had an update.
          Warsov no people and deprecated.
          Alien Arena no server with good ping for me and deprecated.
          Xonotic no people and deprecated.
          Cube 2... I enjoyed the game for a while. I haven't played it for a long time.

One and only king was Quake III Arena (no free).

Buy the better game. Im playing Natural Selection 2 (5 euros) or Counter Strike GO (free).

Comment

As much as I want to like xonotic, its servers being rather dead nowadays really doesn't help here sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Since when do you find STK “interesting”? All you ever do is talk crap about it on every STK article.
              I tried out the latest release, but it is pretty shitty. The graphics engine is rather slow, the fonts are horrible, the user interface is alright when using a hand controller but is weird with keyboard and mouse, the characters are rather crude and not cute, the sound can be repetitive, and there is something about the game play that feels sterile or monotonic.

Comment

The Dark Mod is still actively developed and boasts fairly advanced visuals, but it's not exactly cutting edge. The most cutting edge open source game will probably remain Quake 2 RTX for years

One of the "selling points" of open source games is that they can run on toasters, so there's generally not much interest in adding high-end-oriented features (especially if the developers themselves don't own high-end GPUs). Many of them are also competitive games where high framerates take priority over visuals.

Comment

Battle for Wesnoth!
                  Hi

Comment

I tried out the latest release, but it is pretty shitty. The graphics engine is rather slow, the fonts are horrible, the user interface is alright when using a hand controller but is weird with keyboard and mouse, the characters are rather crude and not cute, the sound can be repetitive, and there is something about the game play that feels sterile or monotonic.
                    haha, wow. SuperTuxKart is one of the most fun games ever. I rediscovered it a couple of months ago with my partner. it is absolutely hilarious, runs on my old shitty mediaplayer laptop and looks pretty good as well. The gameplay is grrrreat and well balanced. Only thing i would like to complain about, is that the learning curve is not steep enough. in the beginning i could easily dominate each track but after just a month i am not winning that easily anymore, and there are evenings when my partner is beating me multiple times! ridiculous. love the sound and characters though. super cute.
                    no, but for real, this game brought a lot of joy in our lives and i can't leave this post uncommented. (just realize, was this a troll trap?)

​​​​​​Anyways, sorry for going slightly off topic, but i promise I will try the new xonotic release asap though. i remember discovering it when i switched to linux and was looking for games. pretty impressive curious about the new gameplay elements.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X