SDDM 0.20 Display Manager Released With Experimental Wayland Greeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDDM 0.20 Display Manager Released With Experimental Wayland Greeter

Phoronix: SDDM 0.20 Display Manager Released With Experimental Wayland Greeter

SDDM as the QML-based X11 and Wayland display manager commonly used on KDE systems and elsewhere is finally out with a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny thing is that some distros (e.g. Arch or Fedora for sure) have been pulling git for a long time now. So the change is not as drastic as it may sound

Comment

I don't know whether that's the most important thing about this release. Iirc 0.20.0 was supposed to add the ability to run X as non-root. That would be biggest addition, if it was merged.

Comment

Finally. Previous release was almost 3 years ago.
        Originally posted by slagiewka View Post
        Funny thing is that some distros (e.g. Arch or Fedora for sure) have been pulling git for a long time now. So the change is not as drastic as it may sound
        Not Arch - it has 0.19 in repo with couple of patches and not some git version. Anyway I am happy that will be fixed soon.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          Finally. Previous release was almost 3 years ago.

Not Arch - it has 0.19 in repo with couple of patches and not some git version. Anyway I am happy that will be fixed soon.
          Shame on me - I take it back.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I don't know whether that's the most important thing about this release. Iirc 0.20.0 was supposed to add the ability to run X as non-root. That would be biggest addition, if it was merged.
            Seems it was merged and released with v0.20.0 https://github.com/sddm/sddm/commit/...92b08b2d2f6046

There are other notes referencing "x11 user" in the release too.

Comment

I gave up on using SDDM or any other graphical greeter because of the X11 dependency requiring the installation & use of the full X server (not just XWayland). Now that it's gone I might be interested in SDDM again.

Comment

Been riding git-master with Wayland greeter for a few weeks now and it actually "just works".
                Consumes ~6MB of RAM, no xserver running. Kinda impressive.

Comment

If there's no separation between the display server and the window manager and the Wayland world is still dragging its heels on a mechanism for privileged clients and security-sensitive portions of the API surface (GNOME's excuse for baking so much into Mutter), how does SDDM set up a kiosk-mode interface without opening up users to "Give me your credit card number to unlock your screen"-style attacks from regular clients in desktop sessions?

Is there a KWin-specific Wayland extension for negotiating privileged client status that I missed?​

Comment

But but but… SDDM was dead, right?
                    Bu

Comment

Working...
                    X