Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Patches Allow LoongArch ClangBuiltLinux Builds

Phoronix: New Patches Allow LoongArch ClangBuiltLinux Builds

While the upstream LLVM/Clang compiler has been building the AArch64 and x86_64 mainline Linux kernel builds for quite some time, for those interested in China's LoongArch CPU architecture it's the latest target seeing work to enable compiling the Linux kernel under Clang...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LoongArch has me very interested... I think it has more potential then the RISC-V platform, if only because of the resources being dumped into it. Political ideology aside this has the potential to be the only major competition to the AMD/Intel duopoly. That said... its probably going to be 10 -15 yrs before it could get there and who knows. They are way behind in pretty much all metrics except funding.

At least the CPU landscape is more competitive and interesting then the GPU landscape these days!

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      LoongArch has me very interested... I think it has more potential then the RISC-V platform, if only because of the resources being dumped into it. Political ideology aside this has the potential to be the only major competition to the AMD/Intel duopoly. That said... its probably going to be 10 -15 yrs before it could get there and who knows. They are way behind in pretty much all metrics except funding.

At least the CPU landscape is more competitive and interesting then the GPU landscape these days!
      MIPS (LoongArch is just MIPS with a different name) had its chance and failed with 30+ years and many millions in investment. It may "succeed" in China because the CCP can enforce its political choices on the populace if it so chooses. It may even eventually reach some parity in performance (keeping in mind they'll always be targeting shifting goalposts). But it did not, and will not replace the current solutions in the Western world. It also won't (and can't for several reasons) give China and its sphere of influence the data security they believe it will as the CPU is only one piece of that puzzle. No single solution will even if they steal the rest of the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Agree, and we also need to say that loongson is a openarch, previously they were building its chips in France, but they sailed for better nodes available in the industry in China.
        They still have to catch up in all metrics but they go in the right direction.
        In the long run, they will be a serious contender, like RISCV will, at least we hope.

However we also need to say that they need to create a BIOS for their computers(if they still don't have it), otherwise their adoption will be hindered, in any case they will have a market of at least some 4 billion people, around the world, which is already very good.

In the US, adoption of it will be small, in EU will be bigger, but still very small.
        The good thing for loongson, is that the great majority of people in the world, don't live in EU or the US, so they could have a huge market.

Comment

Working...
        X