Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 13.2 Released With 58+ Bugs Fixed

Phoronix: GCC 13.2 Released With 58+ Bugs Fixed

Released back in April was GCC 13.1 as the first stable release in the GCC 13 series that brought Modula-2 language support, more C++23/C23 features, Modula-2 language support, and other new CPU targets supported from Arm to Intel. Debuting today is GCC 13.2 as the first point release in the series to ship dozens of bug fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Modula-2 - so good, they added it twice

Comment

I'm on Gentoo and I've learned my lesson some years ago. Always stick with the previous major version of GCC :P

Comment

I doubt the two bugs I found with gcc 13.1.1 are fixed yet as I've still seen them with a recent snapshot: 32-bit dxvk-mingw doesn't compile with LTO (while the 64-bit version has no issues with it); and the more pressing thing is that all DX11-games are borked when compiling proton-ge-custom. Both issues were found with the mingw-version of the compiler, but still.

Edit: After trying a snapshot from July 30th, I am happy to report that the dxvk-mingw issue is gone now. Due to a new llvm-git system compiler that doesn't play nicely with Rust, I cannot try a new proton build anytime soon. But there is hope now that my previous issue might have been fixed there as well.
        Last edited by ms178; 30 July 2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I'm on Gentoo and I've learned my lesson some years ago. Always stick with the previous major version of GCC :P
          GCC has been relatively bug-free for the past couple years (aside from performance regressions almost each major release but those are being slowly tackled), even point zero releases are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

GCC has been relatively bug-free for the past couple years (aside from performance regressions almost each major release but those are being slowly tackled), even point zero releases are good to go.
            While this might be true when using very modest flags, this doesn't reflect my own experiences with 11.1 (which Arch stuck to for way too long; getting a newer snapshot was my main motivation to learn how to build my own toolchain) and also 13.1. Admittedly, I am using more fancy CFLAGS which increases the likelyhood of encountering a compiler bug dramatically. But I still expect that these less common code paths get exposed to some sort of testing before release, too.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              I'm sure, but the issue is that some packages won't compile. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to get fixed. By the time all packages I use are fixed, the next major GCC version is out. After I started sticking with the previous major version (so 12 right now), the frequency of headaches has been reduced significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

I'm sure, but the issue is that some packages won't compile. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to get fixed. By the time all packages I use are fixed, the next major GCC version is out. After I started sticking with the previous major version (so 12 right now), the frequency of headaches has been reduced significantly.
                gcc 13 and 14 have become very strict about c++ headers and most packages I had to fix were just missing c++ headers (i.e. they were previously implicitly included through other headers).

Comment

This is as of now on Slackware current, just upgraded to it earlier today at 8AM. It was added to currents change log on Thu Jul 27 21:41:08 UTC 2023.
                  Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X