Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GnuCOBOL 3.2 Released After 2+ Years In Development

Phoronix: GnuCOBOL 3.2 Released After 2+ Years In Development

For those fond of the COBOL programming language and continuing to make use of it in new development efforts, GnuCOBOL 3.2 was released on Friday as the latest feature update for this 21+ year old free software effort around being an open-source COBOL implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

added for all your Cobol banking fans! https://cleanlinux.com/packages/gnucobol

Comment

Michael

Typoss "improvementss"

Comment

Good for learning COBOL, but with the caveat that legacy installations of proprietary COBOL systems are absolutely going to vary from the specs GnuCOBOL is based on even with the compatibility switches. The GnuCOBOL docs explain as much in various ways. This was a common occurrence to differentiate products both artificially/arbitrarily and with reason 'back in the day'. So don't expect that if you become proficient with GnuCOBOL you "know COBOL", but you should at least be able to take the next step to learn a specific COBOL with some hand holding by the grey beard that has 40+ years with it.

If you want a history primer on how ridiculous legacy computing corporations could be trying to differentiate themselves, read up on why early DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) systems used octal notation.

Comment

This should be fun to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
            This should be fun to play with.
            As someone who started my professional career developing in COBOL let me say: no, it will not.

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post
              As someone who started my professional career developing in COBOL let me say: no, it will not.
              I don't want to make a career out of it. Just play around for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post

Nor was I particularly interested with COBOL.

But am glad seeing the update for legacy/archived code.

Comment

ok, when can we expect gnufortran and gnumodula?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    ok, when can we expect gnufortran and gnumodula?
                    Well, there you have it!

Comment

Working...
                    X