Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded GNU Compiler Toolchain Approved For Fedora 39

Phoronix: Upgraded GNU Compiler Toolchain Approved For Fedora 39

It shouldn't come as much surprise for those familiar with Fedora given its tendency to always ship with the very latest open-source compiler toolchain components, but this autumn's release of Fedora 39 will once again have all the leading-edge GNU compiler pieces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNU means that I can take my shit soft, compile it with GNU autotools on Windows and make my customer pay for it(even in MS Store)? Does it means that I can make it freedomly and according laws required in my country and GNU make it possible :-) ?

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
      GNU means that I can take my shit soft, compile it with GNU autotools on Windows and make my customer pay for it(even in MS Store)? Does it means that I can make it freedomly and according laws required in my country and GNU make it possible :-) ?
      I don't know, but you should not take legal advice from random guy on internet. Reach out to professional

Comment

You can do what ever you want with the GNU tools including creating software you sell but we can't tell you what is legal in your country.

Comment

Before contacting a lawyer you can read https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html and related pages.

Comment

yes, the GPL is not against making money

Comment

Assuming America, but, yes. There's nothing from GNU or in the GPL that says you can't use their compilers to compile software and sell it. They actually make it point to say that's allowed. Selling someone else's software is all about whether you follow the rules of the license of the software you're compiling.

For example, you can take GNU's actual software, compile it, and sell it provided you follow the GPL's rules. That's literally the RHEL and SUSE business model. Take other peoples' software, compile it, and sell it and the support to use it. Then you have folks like Oracle and Rocky who take the software from those who have taken software. That's a very funny situation when you think about it.

The best part is that you don't even have to provide your build environment or give instructions on how to replicate your builds, just links to the source code you're using and a copy of the GPL. That's what Red Hat Enterprise Linux does....and them hiding their instructions to replicate their builds is what's causing all the ensuing chaos with all the Linux organizations that copy-cat RHEL. You'd think they'd use this as an excuse to create something better and freer than Red Hat, but they're instead it seems like they're going to double down on their copy catting.

Again, assuming you follow the laws of your country and the rules of the licenses of the software you're compiling, feel free to mooch on try to make that paper from dumbass Windows users who can't operate a compiler, my dude.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 11 August 2023, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Flash news!! One man just put lawyers worldwide out of the job!! A giant company sues you? Just print out copy GPL and slap it on the judges face!! It's a free win, it's not like those big companies ever thought of making agreement with their customer to make sure their business model has no loophole to exploit. After all you can use this one trick to every case you'll ever face to win.

Man, I'm jealous to people who don't have many things to worry about. They are just happy by simply not thinking.

Comment

Working...
                X