Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go 2 For "Breaking With The Past" Will Never Come

Phoronix: Go 2 For "Breaking With The Past" Will Never Come

An update on the Go programming language roadmap was shared today that highlights some recent improvements for backward compatibility to Go and why the developers now no longer expect to ever have a "Go 2" release that would break compatibility with existing Go 1.x programs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The window for Go 2 quickly went away?"

"The window for Go 2: already gone?"

Oh, the potential for puns is rather delicious.

Comment

This is a good thing, While there are definitely costs with staying compatible really is an important quality to have. It allows everyone to move forward and prevents a lot of headaches and needless work migrating. The pain that is the python 2 to 3 migration comes to mind, as do the many breaking changes in php.

Comment

They'll just make a new language and call it something other than "Go 2" when they need something that requires them to break compatibility

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
          This is a good thing, While there are definitely costs with staying compatible really is an important quality to have. It allows everyone to move forward and prevents a lot of headaches and needless work migrating. The pain that is the python 2 to 3 migration comes to mind, as do the many breaking changes in php.
          After Go adopted generics it was clear to me Go 2 will never happen.

But I'd still like a Go 2 to fix the little core issues, like I want "i64" as in Rust, not "int64", project management is shitty compared to Rust... Rust does a lot of stuff better.

Comment

I've never used frameworks from a company with so many breaking changes as Google. Every year, something has to be rebuilt from scratch due to semantic changes (not even new features)

Comment

Maybe my favourite Go feature: my code never breaks after a language update.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                I've never used frameworks from a company with so many breaking changes as Google. Every year, something has to be rebuilt from scratch due to semantic changes (not even new features)
                this might be true for most Google products, but not for Go.

Comment

C++ 2 in the making, then. No breaking changes, slow cruft buildup. In 10 years we will cry for breaking changes but it will be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke1349
                    How about "Go2 considered harmful", after Dijkstra's 1968 foundational paper (link) , which gave us functions instead of assembly-spaghetti
                    Nice. Post of the day, if not the week!
                    🤣

Comment

Working...
                    X