Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 116 Released With Document Picture-In-Picture API

Phoronix: Chrome 116 Released With Document Picture-In-Picture API

Chrome 116 is out today as the newest stable version of Google's web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I will be waiting for JPEG-XL...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Waiting, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Is it a life-changer for you ?

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post

Perhaps adult photography of well-endowed dongles won't fit in ordinary JPEG images.

Comment

Possibly, yes. It compresses existing JPEGs even more and it has a lossless mode. The latter is the biggie because so much is already done in JPEG.

I did some quick test using 50 pictures I shot the other day. Using ImageMagick (default settings) I converted 1.4GB of PEF images down to 80.4MB and 565.6MB of JPEGs down to 85.3MB. PEF is Pentax RAW. Yes, it compressed the RAWs more than JPEGs of the exact same images (I was shooting in RAW/JPEG mode). For the PEFs I did a second run where I switched to -compress lossless and got the exact same sizes. That seems odd.

Visually, the only downside that I had was that all the PEFs had a green tint to them. I don't think imagemagick was accounting for the white balance. Whatever the case, that's massive size savings from some quick conversion tests using the defaults.

Comment

As someone with photo hoarding, I welcome any effort to squeeze more images on my tiny drives.

Comment

300+ mb for a Browser.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

As someone with photo hoarding, I welcome any effort to squeeze more images on my tiny drives.
                  AVIF anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_44 View Post

AVIF anyone?
                    Again using imagemagick, I used the same sample set of 50 PEFs at 1.4GB down to 14.8mb. So far it wins.

If anyone wants the same commands I'm using:

Code:
                    find /folder/of/images -type f -iregex '.*PEF$' | parallel convert {} {.}.avif
                    Change the input and output file types accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                    X