Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ampere Computing Publishes Guide For Steam Play Games On Their AArch64 Server CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampere Computing Publishes Guide For Steam Play Games On Their AArch64 Server CPUs

Phoronix: Ampere Computing Publishes Guide For Steam Play Games On Their AArch64 Server CPUs

While Ampere Computing's wares with the Altra (Max) and forthcoming AmpereOne families of AArch64 server processors are designed for the data center, if you feel so inclined they have published a guide on being able to run Steam for Linux on these ARM64 processors -- including Steam Play (Proton) for enjoying Windows games on these Linux servers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Curiously, Huawei has been quietly developing ExaGear these past few years - a proprietary but free-as-in-beer x86-to-ARM translator. This has been helping them sell their AArch64 servers. There is very little public marketing about it since this is mostly directed at enterprises.

It would be very interesting to see box64 vs fex-emu vs exagear benchmarks on ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
      Curiously, Huawei has been quietly developing ExaGear these past few years - a proprietary but free-as-in-beer x86-to-ARM translator. This has been helping them sell their AArch64 servers. There is very little public marketing about it since this is mostly directed at enterprises.

It would be very interesting to see box64 vs fex-emu vs exagear benchmarks on ARM.
      Actually Huawei's EULA prohibits the use of ExaGear Huawei on non-Huawei CPUs, just like what Apple is doing with Rosetta. You as an individual can still get a copy of the binary and try use it on other CPUs and may or may not encounter bugs. Additionally, Huawei's EULA prohibits sharing benchmarking results with 3rd party without Huawei's consent. So a public benchmarking is hard to comply with the EULA even if it is conducted on Huawei's platform.
      Last edited by gnattu; 27 August 2023, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post

Actually Huawei's EULA prohibits the use of ExaGear Huawei on non-Huawei CPUs, just like what Apple is doing with Rosetta.
        Where can I find this EULA? It does not seem to be included in the Debian packages they distribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post

Where can I find this EULA? It does not seem to be included in the Debian packages they distribute.
          It is distributed separately in a docx file: https://mirrors.huaweicloud.com/kunp...用许可.docx.

This EULA is Chinese only probably because they don't want to ship this thing to any other country. In this doc, Section 3 (9) prohibits the use on non-Huawei CPUs and Section 8 paragraph 2 prohibits sharing the benchmarking results. You can download this file and use any translator you want if you want to know the whole EULA.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post

Actually Huawei's EULA prohibits the use of ExaGear Huawei on non-Huawei CPUs, just like what Apple is doing with Rosetta. You as an individual can still get a copy of the binary and try use it on other CPUs and may or may not encounter bugs. Additionally, Huawei's EULA prohibits sharing benchmarking results with 3rd party without Huawei's consent. So a public benchmarking is hard to comply with the EULA even if it is conducted on Huawei's platform.
            No benchmarking means it ought to be slow.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

No benchmarking means it ought to be slow.
              It is a common practice in enterprise software. For example you are not allowed to publish benchmarks of most of the commercial databases like Oracle or DB2.

On other hand I'm not sure I would like to know a person or company which runs their production software with translation layer.

It would be impossible to debug - I has a pleasure to run terraform on Rosetta. It was not nice!

Comment

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 6000 series
                Michael The 6000 series of GeForce cards isn't even out yet. You probably mean "NVIDIA RTX 6000" or something like that, which is part of their professional (formerly known as Quadro) line.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Michael The 6000 series of GeForce cards isn't even out yet. You probably mean "NVIDIA RTX 6000" or something like that, which is part of their professional (formerly known as Quadro) line.
                  Presumably A6000 but I was just copying what the GitHub page states.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Presumably A6000 but I was just copying what the GitHub page states.
                    The GitHub page does not state "GeForce".

Comment

Working...
                    X