Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 117 Available With Local Automated Translation Support

Phoronix: Firefox 117 Available With Local Automated Translation Support

The Firefox 117 release binaries are now available for download ahead of Mozilla's official announcement going out on Tuesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've always appreciated this feature in Chrome, so it's good to see Firefox has it. I have to wonder though if the local/offline translation wasn't really because of privacy, but rather, not having the right (or desire) to integrate with a 3rd party web service. Reminds me of cars that use thin plastics or remove features for the sake of "weight savings" when it's really more about cost savings.

Comment

Local translations are an awesome feature, I really appreciate the work on that. Hopefully other apps that are meant for offline usecases will pick it up!

Comment

If it were to be as reliable and easy to use as Chrome's, I might seriously make the switch to Firefox

Comment

Will the screen sharing indicator on Wayland fixed in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by salvaju29ro View Post
            If it were to be as reliable and easy to use as Chrome's, I might seriously make the switch to Firefox
            "easy" to use is in the eye of the beholder. I find Firefox easy to use, but it's my "go to" browser 99% of the time and has been forever. I don't find Chromium "hard" to use either though. I just prefer Firefox.

As far as reliable, I've never had real problems with it. It sometimes crashes on me randomly in Arch, but seems stable / no issues in Tumbleweed and normally the Arch issues iron themselves out due to libraries being updated. It's not always a Firefox problem.

Comment

I saw my colleague using profile feature on chrome. I kinda surprised when i found we don't have that feature in ff.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                I saw my colleague using profile feature on chrome. I kinda surprised when i found we don't have that feature in ff.
                you have. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...nt-containers/

Comment

And this is basically a killer feature of Firefox. Profiles (btw Firefox has them too) are sooo far away in terms of usability.

Comment

1. It's not been officially released yet, it may take up to 48 hours.
                    2. Michael could have provided at least the changelog for the beta version: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

Comment

Working...
                    X