Raspberry Pi's V3D Kernel Driver Prepares For "CPU Jobs" To Assist Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's V3D Kernel Driver Prepares For "CPU Jobs" To Assist Vulkan

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's V3D Kernel Driver Prepares For "CPU Jobs" To Assist Vulkan

Igalia developers are working on extending the Broadcom V3D DRM kernel graphics driver, which is most notably used by the latest Raspberry Pi devices, to support the notion of "CPU jobs" in kernel space to assist in their Vulkan support. These CPU jobs are for assisting the support where their Broadcom GPU driver isn't capable of some Vulkan commands and thus needs to be punted off and handled by the processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The rpi4 GPU simply is that slow.

RISC-V JH7110 doesn't have this problem. Some 4x faster.

Comment

"CPU Jobs in Kernel space" ... what could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        The rpi4 GPU simply is that slow.

RISC-V JH7110 doesn't have this problem. Some 4x faster.
        It also uses a way newer GPU design; RPi's Videocore is ancient by nowaday's standards.

JH7110 CPU is considerably weaker than the RasPi's 4xA72 cores though, so using that to support/offload select operations may actually pay off.

Comment

Michael in the past you missed out the GPU benchmark of the Rockchip 3588S

would be nice if you show us some GPU benchmarks of these Raspberry Pi's class SOCs

you write news about improved GPU support on PIs so why not benchmark it ?
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

LOL, it's supposed to be the GPU taking tasks off the CPU, not the other way around. Sounds like a winmodem or something

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post

It also uses a way newer GPU design; RPi's Videocore is ancient by nowaday's standards.

JH7110 CPU is considerably weaker than the RasPi's 4xA72 cores though, so using that to support/offload select operations may actually pay off.
              The JH7110 uses an Imagination BXE or BXM GPU which isn't that much newer than the Videocore VI in the RPi4. The B series was only announced a year after the RPi 4 came out and the RPi 4 was the first product with a Videocore VI. The real difference is that the BXE/BXM is just a better GPU. Kind of wish Broadcom would start using them but the chances are slim.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                LOL, it's supposed to be the GPU taking tasks off the CPU, not the other way around. Sounds like a winmodem or something
                Winmodem, ugh, I had flushed those abominations from my memory until now. You can have my US Robotics Courier when you pry it from my cold dead hands!!

Comment

I mean, cheers to them for working so hard on Vulkan for the Pi. Frankly, and this is on the Raspberry Pi folks, not the driver developers, I would rather have an Adreno in my next Pi than need for 'GPU jobs' in my kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                    I would rather have an Adreno in my next Pi
                    That's definitely not gonna happen. I'm pretty sure Raspberry Pi is nearly a Broadcom product. I can imagine them licensing a GPU from ARM or Imagination but they definitely won't try to tap Qualcomm for the SOC in the RPi5

Comment

Working...
                    X