Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 17.0 + Clang 17.0 Released With Many New Compiler Features

Phoronix: LLVM 17.0 + Clang 17.0 Released With Many New Compiler Features

The LLVM 17 compiler stack has been released as stable as LLVM 17.0.1 -- a slight mistake leaving the 17.0.0-rc tag meant the original v17.0.0 tag was skipped. This LLVM 17.0.1 stable release along with sub-projects like the Clang 17 C/C++ compiler bring many new features and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now we get to wait months for distros to upgrade. Looking at you, arch.

Comment

Can't wait for this to work its way into a BSD near me! Probably too late for FreeBSD 14.0, but maybe not for OpenBSD 7.4?

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
        It is rather easy to install it yourself. Compared to the hiccups with GCC, which I have been installing manually for decades, is LLVM/clang friendlier to install. If you then write your own software or compile code frequently should you not shy away from installing a compiler yourself and keeping up to date with its development.
        Last edited by sdack; 19 September 2023, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          It is rather easy to install it yourself. Compared to the hiccups with GCC, which I have been installing manually for decades, is LLVM/clang friendlier to install. If you then write your own software or compile code frequently should you not shy away from install a compiler yourself and keeping up to date with its development.
          I have to disagree. I've maintained my own GCC installation for a few years, and found LLVM to be a bit more complex to install when I last tried. The other issue is with code that brings LLVM in as a shared library (especially mesa) because LLVM's api is unstable while libgcc's (while not as capable) isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            It is rather easy to install it yourself. Compared to the hiccups with GCC, which I have been installing manually for decades, is LLVM/clang friendlier to install. If you then write your own software or compile code frequently should you not shy away from installing a compiler yourself and keeping up to date with its development.
            Nah it really isn't LLVM and Mesa are tightly coupled so if you use AUR for LLVM you also have to do it for Mesa and it can get to be a real nuisance.

Comment

I have to disagree. I've maintained my own GCC installation for a few years, and found LLVM to be a bit more complex to install when I last tried. The other issue is with code that brings LLVM in as a shared library (especially mesa) because LLVM's api is unstable while libgcc's (while not as capable) isn't.
              bootstrapping gcc so you have a toolchain isolated from your system is quite a chore.
              build a reduced gcc, compile a target glibc, build full gcc.

clang is a native crosscompiler, and you can easily reuse old/cross gcc, libc++ installations. gcc is a big mess you have to solve for every target.

Comment

It is easier than ever. It is now all contained within a single git repository and you no longer need to clone sub-modules manually. CMake will configure it and you can choose whether you want to use Make or Ninja for the build. It is very straightforward. Perhaps try again.

Comment

The dragon logo is definitely cooler than the gnu or whatever GCC users. I declare LLVM to be the victor.

Comment

Gentoo picks these up pretty quick, but you get to keep the pieces if it breaks

Comment

Working...
                    X