Mold 2.2 Linker Released With More Optimizations, BLAKE3 Crypto Hashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold 2.2 Linker Released With More Optimizations, BLAKE3 Crypto Hashing

Phoronix: Mold 2.2 Linker Released With More Optimizations, BLAKE3 Crypto Hashing

Rui Ueyama published today a new version of Mold, the open-source high speed linker that has easily outpaced the common linkers from the GNU and LLVM projects. Mold 2.2 continues work on its performance quest, expanding its multiple CPU architectures supported, and other new work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not that picture again....

Comment

I don't get why Apple isn't interested in merging it. Or LLVM Foundation at least.

Anyway, are there similar efforts in GCC?
      Last edited by timofonic; 24 September 2023, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I don't get why Apple isn't interés in merging it. Ir LLVM Foundation at least.
        Probably because it doesn't support macOS and charging for the proprietary version which adds macOS support patches (and, later, the Windows support patches) is how the developer intends to fund future development.

(Basically, a "FLOSS linker for FLOSS platforms, proprietary paid linker for proprietary paid platforms" sort of logic.)

Comment

I don't get why Apple isn't interested in merging it. Or LLVM Foundation at least.

Apple recently made linker faster too https://x.com/davidecci/status/1665835119331135488

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

Apple recently made linker faster too https://x.com/davidecci/status/1665835119331135488
            Mold seems officially timed out!

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

That maybe increases the chances for support from the competition.

Comment

I wonder if Mold can also do LTO...

Comment

GCC is a compiler (or rather, collection of compilers) - it does not have a linker. You can use different linkers with gcc,, including mold, though I believe it does not have all the features of binutils "ld" or "gold" as yet. (I don't think mold works with LTO as yet, and does not support all the features of ld linker files.) I'm sure it will one day, and take over as the standard linker for gcc-based toolchains, but for now you can use it if you actively choose to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by pepoluan View Post
                    I wonder if Mold can also do LTO...
                    Yes, it can.

Comment

Working...
                    X