VirtIO VSOCK MSG_ZEROCOPY To Begin Landing For Linux 6.7: More Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtIO VSOCK MSG_ZEROCOPY To Begin Landing For Linux 6.7: More Performance

Phoronix: VirtIO VSOCK MSG_ZEROCOPY To Begin Landing For Linux 6.7: More Performance

The first of three parts for MSG_ZEROCOPY preparations for the VirtIO-Vsock driver have been queued into net-next ahead of planned introduction in the Linux 6.7 kernel as another means of achieving greater performance within virtual machines...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This could be very nice, I would love to see waypipe support vsock for this, not something im super interested in, but it would be great for secure apps (such as qubes alternative)

Comment

What is "MSG_ZEROCOPY feature for the VirtIO/Vsock"? No idea what I am reading about..

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
        What is "MSG_ZEROCOPY feature for the VirtIO/Vsock"? No idea what I am reading about..
        it is all related to virtualization/KVM

VirtIO contains the optimized driver/stuff for virtualization
        Vsock = virtual socket

MSG_ZEROCOPY is like other zero copy stuff, instead of transmitting the data through the socket, it reads directly from memory, like dmabuf

That is my understanding of it, might be wrong though

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

it is all related to virtualization/KVM

VirtIO contains the optimized driver/stuff for virtualization
          Vsock = virtual socket

MSG_ZEROCOPY is like other zero copy stuff, instead of transmitting the data through the socket, it reads directly from memory, like dmabuf

That is my understanding of it, might be wrong though
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X