No announcement yet.

Mesa 23.3 Restores DCC With Mipmaps Performance Optimization For AMD RDNA3 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.3 Restores DCC With Mipmaps Performance Optimization For AMD RDNA3 GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa 23.3 Restores DCC With Mipmaps Performance Optimization For AMD RDNA3 GPUs

Prolific RADV developer Samuel Pitoiset with Valve's Linux graphics driver team has re-enabled Delta Color Compression (DCC) with mipmaps for AMD GFX11 (RDNA3) hardware for the Mesa 23.3 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RADV, AMDGPU, i always get confused, what is opensource driver what is not... And then there is also MESA, which is not even driver but GPU implementation that works with driver.(when in proprietary drivers implementation usually comes WITH driver)
    EDITED: not GPU but OpenGL/Vulkan, i know that.
    Last edited by dimko; 01 October 2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      RADV, AMDGPU, i always get confused, what is opensource driver what is not... And then there is also MESA, which is not even driver but GPU implementation that works with driver.(when in proprietary drivers implementation usually comes WITH driver)
      AMDGPU is the kernel part, so drivers that you install(like mesa or the AMD proprietary one) talk with them, Mesa is a collection of drivers and librarys for vary API, and the RADV is the vulkan api inside Mesa, RadeonSI is opengl one, etc

(this is what i understand, if someone could correctly me thanks)

Comment

AMDGPU = Kernel module, open source

These makes use of the AMDGPU kernel module:
        RADV = Mesa Vulkan driver for AMD, open source
        RadeonSI = Mesa OpenGL driver for AMD, open source
        AMDGPU-PRO - Closed source AMD OpenGL/Vulkan driver

Comment

It's AMDVLK that's the occasional code drop from AMD that makes the another open-source AMD GPU Vulkan driver, and IIRC it's AMDGPU-PRO that's the closed-source driver.

Regarding Mesa, it's also part of the "driver" we usually talk about, the Linux graphics landscape can be a bit complicated but once you see the bigger picture it would be easier to understand! The Wikipedia article about the Linux DRM (not Digital Restrictions Management, but Direct Rendering Manager) is a good read IMO.

Comment

Hope Mesa 23.3 can fix the major graphics issues faced by Reimbrandt based AMD APU's on Linux.

Comment

EDITED: not GPU but OpenGL/Vulkan, i know that.
              Not mine, sorry I forgot who made it, but always a great answer to those questions.

Linux AMD Drivers.webp

Comment

Can't help but wonder, of older versions of MESA would allow for enablement of said feature, perhaps over environment variables.

Comment

Working...
                X