Python 3.12 Released With Linux Perf Integration, Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.12 Released With Linux Perf Integration, Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Python 3.12 Released With Linux Perf Integration, Performance Improvements

Python 3.12 is out today as the latest major feature release for this extremely popular programming language. Python 3.12 continues the trend of recent releases of enhancing the performance while continuing to introduce exciting new functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So official Python is getting faster? Will unofficial Python implementations become useless someday?

Linux perf seems getting lots of interest lately too.

Comment

Waiting for benchmarks...

Comment

Python... the source of much hair pulling while trying to figure out the concept of inheritance... and the many frustratingly inaccurate explanations of inheritance using automobile types found in so many books and tutorials. But hey, at least I can read Python well enough at this point I can definitively say "That's not malware, it's just glue code for $online_service!". At that point $online_service being malware or spyware is usually a political or regulatory argument that I can ignore not being the compliance officer. Most automated malware scanners can't properly evaluate Python code, necessitating having someone around to be able to read Python and make the determination whether something is immediately malicious or not.

chromer : I know Michael is working on a benchmarking article, but it's really trivial to do them yourself. Python interpreter performance is going to vary depending on host CPU features, compiler options, and language features utilized, threaded v. unthreaded. Pybench is available near universally plus there's more task specific testing programs out there.

Comment

It's always nice that Python gets faster but for the most part, Python is plenty fast for me, and if you need higher performance there are always other languages.

Python got plenty of other problems though.
          • Static fields on methods are declared as such without any explicit static keyword, it's all implicit using self.foo so if I take a break from Python, its trickier to understand it as it works in a rather non-intuitive and unorthodox way.
          • It got a vanity "Python Software Foundation License" instead of a normal license like Apache License or MIT License.
          • It sucks for embedding into other software because there is no way to limit what it can do. Any script will have full access to anything and everything.
          • You cannot do top-level await, you have to put it inside an async function and declare a asynchronous executor.
          • The standard library is shitty:
            • The JSON module cannot deserialize into a class.
            • No asynchronous HTTP client. urllib is shit.
            • The standard library is inconsistently and poorly documented, and as for type hinting it is in a sad state.
          • Type hinting is great but in Python it is confusing and shitty. It has gotten slightly better, but it's always been shitty and is still shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It's always nice that Python gets faster but for the most part, Python is plenty fast for me, and if you need higher performance there are always other languages.

• Static fields on methods are declared as such without any explicit static keyword, it's all implicit using self.foo so if I take a break from Python, its trickier to understand it as it works in a rather non-intuitive and unorthodox way.
            • It got a vanity "Python Software Foundation License" instead of a normal license like Apache License or MIT License.
            • It sucks for embedding into other software because there is no way to limit what it can do. Any script will have full access to anything and everything.
            • You cannot do top-level await, you have to put it inside an async function and declare a asynchronous executor.
              • The standard library is inconsistently and poorly documented, and as for type hinting it is in a sad state.
            • Type hinting is great but in Python it is confusing and shitty. It has gotten slightly better, but it's always been shitty and is still shitty.

What would you suggest? Perl? Haskell? Lua?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

No-GIL python is coming.

Comment

[*]The standard library is shitty:
                I agree this sucks, but given that classes aren't strongly typed in python I don't think it would be possible to write a generic deserializer.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Well, I personally ditched both Python and C++ for personal projects. It's all Rust for me now. That suits my needs, may not be true for others. (I don't want to start a flame war, no language is perfect for everything.)

Comment

What's your opinion about Zig (the programming language)? I just found out about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X