Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 14 Open-Source Project Released

Phoronix: Android 14 Open-Source Project Released

Google formally unveiled Android 14 today in New York City at its Made By Google event. With that, Google has also published the Android 14 Open-Source Project (AOSP)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Block installation of apps targeting older SDK versions – To protect against malware that targets older API levels to bypass security and privacy protections, apps with a targetSdkVersion lower than 23 cannot be installed on Android 14.
    Sigh

SDK 23 is Android 6.0.

Secure full screen Intent notifications – Since full-screen intent notifications are designed for extremely high-priority notifications demanding the user's immediate attention, Android 14 limits the apps granted this permission on app install to those that provide calling and alarms only. Your app can now launch the settings page where users can grant the permission.
    This is a welcome change.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      SDK 23 is Android 6.0.
      That's Marshmallow from 2015.

Is there an easy way or an app to tell which of my installed apps would be affected because they use an older SDK? Or list ll installed apps and show their target version?

Comment

Typo: "losssless"

Comment

So the camera app is now able to produce JPEG XL files, correct? Oh...

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Is there an easy way or an app to tell which of my installed apps would be affected because they use an older SDK? Or list ll installed apps and show their target version?
            Many old apps available on F-Droid haven't been updated to target SDK 23 or newer, but I'm not using any of them. That said, there is probably someone out there using them for specific purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Not exactly what you want but this will show the target SDK version of an individual .apk file.
              Code:
              aapt dump badging yourapk.apk​
              (Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-from-apk-file)

Apps that are still on Google Play and being actively maintained will probably all update themselves to avoid this problem. So they should be okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Many old apps available on F-Droid haven't been updated to target SDK 23 or newer, but I'm not using any of them. That said, there is probably someone out there using them for specific purposes.
                F-Droid is my main source of programs with only a select few installed by Aurora Store, which itself is again from F-Droid.

I don't even have a Google account.

Comment

I am curious how long GrapheneOS will take this time to port over to AOSP. Last time was surprisingly fast with less than two months.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
                    So the camera app is now able to produce JPEG XL files, correct? Oh...
                    No, Google invented a completely different format. They are putting extra HDR data on top of a conventional JPEG file.

Comment

Working...
                    X