Red Hat Continues Hiring For Experienced Linux Graphics Driver Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Continues Hiring For Experienced Linux Graphics Driver Engineers

Phoronix: Red Hat Continues Hiring For Experienced Linux Graphics Driver Engineers

Red Hat continues hiring for additional help on their open-source Linux graphics driver team that does stellar work for enabling open-source graphics hardware support in cases like NVIDIA hardware with Nouveau, optimizing performance of existing drivers, and making other infrastructure improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool!
    But I wish they would put at least 1 or 2 of their new hires to work on HDR support.
    I think is really important to have proper, hi-quality videos and images support.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Cool!
      But I wish they would put at least 1 or 2 of their new hires to work on HDR support.
      I think is really important to have proper, hi-quality videos and images support.
      And the reason we don't have HDR on Linux is drivers, right? Everything else is right there, waiting.

Comment

Or Red Hat could save its money and recommend that people use the drivers created by those that make the hardware since they are the ones in the best position to make the best drivers.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the Linux community is the desire to reinvent not just the wheel but the whole damn car simply because the whole thing is not GPL'd.
        Last edited by sophisticles; 11 October 2023, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          Perhaps the biggest problem with the Linux community is the desire to reinvent bot just the wheel but the whole damn car simply because the whole thing is not GPL'd.
          In this case it is throwing money after a bigger multi-billion dollar company that is reluctant to develop open source drivers themselves. I hardly understand Red Hat's reasoning, Nvidia is too important to overlook, sure. But wouldn't it be wiser to double down on improving the open source stacks of companies willing to work in the open instead?! That would be an incentive for such companies to release open source drivers in the first place.

Comment

Keep in mind that RedHat hes been bought by IBM ... :/

Comment

It would be interesting to know how many senior RH developers were let go before they put these postings out. This is a typical IBM personnel behavior and would like to know if RH is imitating it. IBM's exit door is always quietly large compared to their very public job entry.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

In this case it is throwing money after a bigger multi-billion dollar company that is reluctant to develop open source drivers themselves. I hardly understand Red Hat's reasoning, Nvidia is too important to overlook, sure. But wouldn't it be wiser to double down on improving the open source stacks of companies willing to work in the open instead?! That would be an incentive for such companies to release open source drivers in the first place.
                It's not unthinkable they would keep a small number of patches to other open drivers for RHEL (i.e. paying customers). Not for nefarious purposes, but because some SLAs will require a fix or at least a workaround within a given time frame.

Comment

Blabla... IBMHat... blablabla... RHEL... blablabla... Fedora...blablabla... premium paying customer support...

IBMHat, you deserve to stop being relevant at FOSS.

Soon IBMHat will promote BSD/MIT licenses over GPL in an extreme Google/Apple/Sony way, just like core IBM. You seen it here before, please remember it

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Cool!
                    I think there is a couple pieces for HDR to work coming in the pipe soon. ATM you can get HDR working with stuff like gamescope hdr toggle and steam big screen, and I do believe it might be able to work on wayland roots based desktop.

Honestly it be nice if Linux can get a few rounds of super polish for multi monitor, vrr, hdr support. We seem to get these features in limited/works sometimes sort of ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X