Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.13 Alpha Kicks Off The Cycle With New Deprecations

Phoronix: Python 3.13 Alpha Kicks Off The Cycle With New Deprecations

While Python 3.12 was just released earlier this month, already the first alpha release of Python 3.13 is now available for early-stage testing and evaluation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Python proving once again why it's a nightmare clown language. getopt/optparse are used by an immense amount of scripts out there.

Maybe it should deprecate itself next, because I'm sick of code written by people who stops working or has specific python version requirements, so I have to keep old versions around. At least then I won't have to deal with it anymore (no, it's not my code).

Comment

type in the second paragraph, It should be `Python 3.13` I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
        type in the second paragraph, It should be `Python 3.13` I think.
        @Michael

Typo

"Python 3.12 is just the first of seven planned alpha releases" it should be 3.13.0a1
        Last edited by JEBjames; 15 October 2023, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Python proving once again why it's a nightmare clown language. getopt/optparse are used by an immense amount of scripts out there.

Maybe it should deprecate itself next, because I'm sick of code written by people who stops working or has specific python version requirements, so I have to keep old versions around. At least then I won't have to deal with it anymore (no, it's not my code).
          But it's easy to code! At least isn't Java nor .NET/C#. It's also cancer, but Open Source...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

But it's easy to code! At least isn't Java nor .NET/C#. It's also cancer, but Open Source...
            Dynamic typing, GIL, and the lack of JIT compilation makes it more powerful! Deprecating lots of stuff also makes it more modern.

Comment

What? You want it to never get rid of dated methods and modules and that it keeps growing forever, maintaining old stuff forever ?
              Are some point, there is a need for clean up.

With your own code, I bet you remove old crumbs too, so why blame others about that same thing ?

Comment

Well, `optparse` was replaced by `argparse` when switching from python 2.5 to 2.6 (or was it 2.7?), more than a decade ago. I don't find it shocking for marking it as deprecated today in order to remove it in a year or two.

Comment

How can you tell if your Python code will work? Well, depends on the day of the week and the lunar cycle.

Comment

How can you tell if your Python code will work?
                    I must say I've not run into that problem. We started using Python 3 from the start when it first came out, and so far nothing we use has 'broke'. On 3.11 now.

Not shocking about removal, but still be nice to keep 'old' baggage around for those cases that are still using it. I can't see how it 'hurts' anything to keep 'working' API the same unless there is a 'very very' good reason for breaking compatibility. That said, I am one of those guys that 'really' appreciate Python for my work. It simplified a lot of our automated processes and is easy for almost 'anyone' in the engineering department to maintain. As with any language -- use where appropriate for the project at hand.
                    Last edited by rclark; 15 October 2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X