Intel Proposes Adding Full SYCL Programming Model Support To Upstream LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Proposes Adding Full SYCL Programming Model Support To Upstream LLVM

Phoronix: Intel Proposes Adding Full SYCL Programming Model Support To Upstream LLVM

Intel engineers are proposing that full support for the SYCL programming model be added to upstream LLVM. This is part of their broader oneAPI effort and embracing Khronos' SYCL standard for single-source C++ heterogeneous programming from CPUs to GPUs, FPGAs, and other accelerators...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!

Comment

Great that this gets more traction!

What's the current state of Sycl? Did it get any new backends these days? The last time I checked it was OpenCL only.
      Would it work natively on CUDA or ROCm? How about vulkan compute? I figure there are mobile devices out there without OpenCL support, but vulkan compute.
      Last edited by oleid; 16 October 2023, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Deja-vu, wasn't HSA solving the same underlying problems (in a different way)? It is painfully slow to see progress on that technological front, as HSA was talked about in 2012 already and here we are in 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Great that this gets more traction!

What's the current state of Sycl? Did it get any new backends these days? The last time I checked it was OpenCL only.
          Would it work natively on CUDA or ROCm? How about vulkan compute? I figure there are mobile devices out there without OpenCL support, but vulkan compute.
          At the last SYCLcon https://www.iwocl.org/iwocl-2023/conference-program/ there was a "SYCL State of the Union" presentation giving some hints, even if it is 6 month old already.
          This video was presented at IWOCL & SYCLCON 2023, hosted at the University of Cambridge, UK on April 18-20.Additional Information and Slides: https://www.iwo...

There are quite many targets nowadays.
          There was at least a research prototype a few years ago targeting Vulkan: Sylkan.
          Vulkan SC is also one of the envisioned target of SYCL SC, the version of the SYCL standard targeting safety-critical systems.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            Deja-vu, wasn't HSA solving the same underlying problems (in a different way)? It is painfully slow to see progress on that technological front, as HSA was talked about in 2012 already and here we are in 2023.
            By "in a different way" do you mean hardware (HSA) versus software (SYCL)?
            SYCL started around 2011 too, so, yes this is slow. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by RonanKeryell View Post

By "in a different way" do you mean hardware (HSA) versus software (SYCL)?
              SYCL started around 2011 too, so, yes this is slow. :-(
              If I remember correctly you are deeply involved in the development of these standards. I am just an interested bystander from the peanut gallery.

Actually, I meant from a software-implementation perspective for both providing a programming model for single-source C++ heterogeneous programming. On the software side, HSA had HSAIL and a Finalizer to target the underlying hardware - SYCL uses a slightly different approach with a bit more abstractions due to several API layers involved if I am not mistaken.

Concerning the hardware side, honestly I don't remember too much specifics, but I assume there are also some hardware / platform capabilities needed for proper SYCL support, right? At least to get good performance out of each device/accelerator working together without too much API overhead? In the past, AMD made a point in benchmarking HSA vs OpenCL for faster Kernel execution on the same hardware. But I cannot tell if the platform capabilities and APIs evolved so far to allow this more performant today.

I hope it won't take another decade to see the fruits of your and your colleague's​ work.
              Last edited by ms178; 17 October 2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I remember SYCL started to grow when they replaced/updated to SPIR-V as IR, all the parts/standards started to fit nicely together since then

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  I remember SYCL started to grow when they replaced/updated to SPIR-V as IR, all the parts/standards started to fit nicely together since then
                  While having a standard portable IR like SPIR-V definitely helps, there is nothing in SYCL that requires it. There are several compiler flows which use directly LLVM IR or MLIR for example.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Actually, I meant from a software-implementation perspective for both providing a programming model for single-source C++ heterogeneous programming. On the software side, HSA had HSAIL and a Finalizer to target the underlying hardware - SYCL uses a slightly different approach with a bit more abstractions due to several API layers involved if I am not mistaken.

Concerning the hardware side, honestly I don't remember too much specifics, but I assume there are also some hardware / platform capabilities needed for proper SYCL support, right? At least to get good performance out of each device/accelerator working together without too much API overhead? In the past, AMD made a point in benchmarking HSA vs OpenCL for faster Kernel execution on the same hardware. But I cannot tell if the platform capabilities and APIs evolved so far to allow this more performant today.

I hope it won't take another decade to see the fruits of your and your colleague's​ work.
                    Yes you are right there are various levels where the problem can be addressed in the full hardware/software stack.
                    I think the problem with HSA is that it was a hardware solution designed by hardware people, with a very prescriptive approach for the hardware implementors, an IR not designed by compiler people, etc.
                    At the end HSA did not solve the other problems beyond that everyone has to implement HSA or it does not work. What to do in real life with different accelerators at the same time?
                    So, some level of cross-API low-level dispatch is required anyway. HSA is one of the API and is actually used under the hood by the 2 major SYCL implementations when targeting AMD ROCm/HIP.

Concerning the speed of deployment of a given technology by my company (AMD) or others, this is definitely quite above my pay-grade. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X