Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 14 Feature Development Ends Next Month

Phoronix: GCC 14 Feature Development Ends Next Month

One month from today the GCC 14 feature development is expected to end as the GNU compiler developers transition to the bug-fixing stage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Oracle didn't sue Google, we would had nice Java games because Adobe Flash games would overtake the world and take the first place from Desktop C++ converted to Java Desktop games making today's fast GPU accelerated C++ something only something in the flashback as obsolete Microsoft stuff, but only if GNU agreed and liked something not already made

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
      If Oracle didn't sue Google, we would had nice Java games because Adobe Flash games would overtake the world and take the first place from Desktop C++ converted to Java Desktop games making today's fast GPU accelerated C++ something only something in the flashback as obsolete Microsoft stuff, but only if GNU agreed and liked something not already made
      I wish I was still young and able to sample some modern drugs, I really do.

Comment

@Michael

Grammar/missing word

"Thus there's one month to go to get in any major new features for GCC 14 otherwise will be diverted to GCC 15."

Maybe "Thus, there's one month to go to get in any major new features for GCC 14 otherwise they will be diverted to GCC 15."

Comment

I'm not sure if this is supposed to sarcastic, trolling or just random words put together. What's Java have to do with Flash or GPUs? If the intention was humorous, well it didn't work.

Comment

I don't know where you are going with this post, but seems like it might be "OffTopic" when discussing GCC development.

Comment

[ Do current compilers, like gcc, have built-in statistics for lines (comparable to cloc on 'nix systems) or bytes compiled? (Thx) ]

Comment

advantage would be platform independence, but Java's favorite task is not that much (direct) hardware interaction (mainly because of platform independent code for a variety of hardware structures, thus GPU access is through API with OpenCL or CUDA implementation)

there's some change to processing speed with JIT and some years now, publicly summarized like
                • "slower than compiled languages such as C or C++
                • similar to other just-in-time compiled languages such as C#
                • much faster than languages without an effective native-code compiler (JIT or AOT), such as Perl, Ruby, PHP and Python

Even there's no native gcc implemented java compiling task; GNU's compiler for Java is gcj (has graphical API's, AWT and Swing classpath, but me not knowing if these are GPU hw accelerated).

Comment

Originally posted by back2未來 View Post
                  not knowing if these are GPU hw accelerated).
                  ncurses to you, but only if kernel(web from 199x) fbdev has some advantages for ssh without TPU on server

Comment

ncurses to you, but only if kernel(web from 199x) fbdev has some advantages for ssh without TPU on server
                    AFAIR, 'AT&T commercialized UNIX ~1980's' (more exactly it was mixed partly free source and proprietary, support from US universities, from my knowledge), what was reversed with variations for open source again starting early ~1990's. GCJ latest (single core optimized?) release is for GNU's version 6 compilers (~2018). Then OpenJDK (Oracle, GNU ~GPLv2).
                    Interesting thought, but never seen TPU being utilized with Java on parallel processing tasks (with low power consumption priority).
                    (Depending on server task, me don't see purpose for GUI access, less for hw accelerated on gen. server tasks with current technology levels, directly or remote)
                    Maybe there's someone able to explain why GNU lost interest on JAVA compiler, that time?
                    Last edited by back2未來; 20 October 2023, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X