Fedora To Possibly Transition From Zlib To Zlib-NG For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora To Possibly Transition From Zlib To Zlib-NG For Better Performance

Phoronix: Fedora To Possibly Transition From Zlib To Zlib-NG For Better Performance

Fedora Linux is looking at possibly transitioning from Zlib to Zlib-NG for this widely-used compression library. This tentative change request is filed in part by Intel software engineers looking to enhance the Zlib performance on modern processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only breakage I found when I started using this library in ArchLinux was that the Python2 tests failed.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
      The only breakage I found when I started using this library in ArchLinux was that the Python2 tests failed.
      There are apparently a couple of tests in applications which expected a specific result from zlib (which was always somewhat fragile) which zlib-ng is triggering in the testing that has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
        Can confirm it works great for some time already, especially since I don't use Python 2.

Comment

I bet they wrote it in rust

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            I bet they wrote it in rust
            You lost that bet. It's a fork of the existing Zlib library with performance patches. Not a rewrite.

Comment

In my own testing on Arch, the only noticed issue was the updating of rust crates, somehow fetching the updates from the crates fails with zlib-ng. This affects custom proton builds (which can be worked around though). Apart from that, it runs very well as a zlib-replacement.

Comment

It's good to see some alternative to the old ref implementation. Code was really not great even if quite stable.

Anyway, on modern projects with active dev, it's time to drop zip for zstd.

Comment

Wow! It is actually ABI-compatible now.
                  Noticed while fixing #699. https://github.com/dankegel/zlib-ng/tree/abicheck-tmpsssh is a draft of a new script, tmp/abicheck.sh, that compares zlib and zlib-ng --compat ABIs (as well as makes sure...

This would be a great performance win considering how widely zlib is used.

Comment

See also these:
                    Hi, We're in the middle of the discussion about replacing the "classic" zlib with the zlib-ng (built with the ZLIB_COMPAT=ON flag) in Fedora. There are a lot of concerns and so I wanted to reach ou...

Comment

Working...
                    X