Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fedora 39 Release Has Been Held Up By Raspberry Pi Bugs

Phoronix: The Fedora 39 Release Has Been Held Up By Raspberry Pi Bugs

Fedora 39 failed to make its "early" release target date, it didn't meet its otherwise targeted release date one week later, and is now facing another possible setback still. These release delays have been due to outstanding blocker bugs all related to the Raspberry Pi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora could really use a “critical” embargoed OpenSSL vulnerability right now.

Comment

I think one aspect of Fedora that is really underappreciated is the fact that every version is supported for 13 months, which AFAIK is longer than any other non-LTS stable release distro. This way, if there's a problem in a new version, you can just skip it and jump to the next one. Also, if you really want to use Fedora, but wish to have some higher degree of stability, you can basically always remain on the previous version. So around the time when there's a new version, you can upgrade to the previous one after system components like the DE or Mesa drivers are upgraded to the latest point release of a certain version, which means less potential bugs. These components don't receive additional updates after that, so it also means more stability. I currently use Debian Stable, but if for whatever reason I'll have to switch distro, I'll probably use Fedora this way.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"failing toi load" should be "to"

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          I think one aspect of Fedora that is really underappreciated is the fact that every version is supported for 13 months, which AFAIK is longer than any other non-LTS stable release distro. This way, if there's a problem in a new version, you can just skip it and jump to the next one. Also, if you really want to use Fedora, but wish to have some higher degree of stability, you can basically always remain on the previous version. So around the time when there's a new version, you can upgrade to the previous one after system components like the DE or Mesa drivers are upgraded to the latest point release of a certain version, which means less potential bugs. These components don't receive additional updates after that, so it also means more stability. I currently use Debian Stable, but if for whatever reason I'll have to switch distro, I'll probably use Fedora this way.
          What about security updates though?

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Wdym? Supported versions of any distro should receive security updates during their life cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

You can think of the Fedora release cycle as : 6 months "stable" + 6 months "extended" + few weeks "extra time". Security updates at all phases.

Comment

These components don't receive additional updates after that, so it also means more stability.
                Unsure about that.
                TBH I'm experiencing a regression with gnome's popup dialog window to unlock encrypted volumes, the thing has not shown itself for a few months on a project using F37 (new kickstart based build every few weeks).
                The very exact same kickstart file was used to build a fine working system with early F37, and is working with F38 : it's just broken with the late F37.

Oh well, nobody did complain, and soon i'll switch the project to F38 or F39 anyway.
                Last edited by lateo; 25 October 2023, 06:08 PM.

Comment

if you really want to use Fedora, but wish to have some higher degree of stability, you can basically always remain on the previous version. So around the time when there's a new version, you can upgrade to the previous one
                  that's basically what I do (on my job workstation) and it works great!

kernel regressions happens from time to time but it's always easy to get back to the previous version or bake your own kernel.
                  Last edited by cynic; 26 October 2023, 04:00 AM.

Comment

something I very much like, is that you could turn on a fedora 20 box today, and upgrade it to a current release (not in one step, but still possible). They leave their updates systems in place, which is very nice. I've turned on a couple old ubuntu boxes, and all the update URLs are broken, and it's a total mess to try to upgrade them.

Comment

Working...
                    X