Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 39 Delayed To At Least 7 November

Phoronix: Fedora 39 Delayed To At Least 7 November

While Fedora 39 was aiming for an ideal "early final" release on 18 October, that didn't happen, it was delayed, and then delayed again. Now the earliest Fedora 39 will possibly shift is 7 November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wouldn't be a fedora release without a delay or three. I've been on beta for a few weeks, and it's been mostly okay. although there was a bad mutter update out there that had to get zapped:

of course the biggest unresolved issues are that you have to figure out where all the gpu shader caches are and delete them. it's kinda crazy that they aren't stored in a standard location or there isn't enough info given to applications to know when they need to be purged.

Comment

I have installed it on my laptop, a desktop, and a server so far. I did have some Nvidia driver issues at first on the desktop. It ended up being a missing depmod run. Firefox had a tab crash, but I think I had a full crash on 38 before the upgrade. The laptop and server have been uneventful. All of them were done with dnf system-upgrade.

Comment

i think most the remaining bugs are raspberry PI ones
        Last edited by Anvil; 27 October 2023, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Not a fan of these delays because each time it happens the current release of Fedora (almost completely) stops getting any updates.

No idea how these two are related but I've been observing this quirk for over a decade now.

Comment

This would actually be news if it ever did ship on time. As it stands, this does not qualify as news - Fedora launch delays are a feature, not a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Not a fan of these delays because each time it happens the current release of Fedora (almost completely) stops getting any updates.

No idea how these two are related but I've been observing this quirk for over a decade now.
              Bro, in just this week, Fedora 38 has gotten a new kernel, new pipewire, new systemd updates, among others. Quit your B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                This would actually be news if it ever did ship on time. As it stands, this does not qualify as news - Fedora launch delays are a feature, not a bug.
                Exactly. Usually when I see the target release date I add two weeks and plan to upgrade at that time.

Comment

Maybe they really just wanted to delay it to release on the same day as FreeBSD 14

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I think you're seeing things that aren't there. There is no causative mechanism there at all. The N release cycle has absolutely no impact on the N-1 update process.

Comment

Working...
                    X