Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 3.5 Fork Trinity Desktop 14.1.1 Released

Phoronix: KDE 3.5 Fork Trinity Desktop 14.1.1 Released

While KDE Plasma 6 and associated KDE software components are getting ready for their debut in February, Trinity Desktop continues loosely maintaining a KDE 3.5 fork for that aging desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Curious about RAM Usage..., but while Plasma 5 is really stable why someone should use 3.5?

Comment

One reason is multi-window tabbing. I believe it still works in plasma 3 and 4. They refuse to implement it for some reason in newer versions saying it won't work with CSD but plenty of people argue it would work fine and look fine.

Comment

What Qt version are they using? Still Qt3 or already Qt4?

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
          One reason is multi-window tabbing...
          Another is full support for XRandR (e.g., panning), which the KDE developers state they have no intention of doing.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
            why someone should use 3.5?
            Because they want to, and because it's super lightweight and responsive.

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            What Qt version are they using? Still Qt3 or already Qt4?
            Their own Qt3 fork, TQt3.

Comment

When are they going to add wayland support?

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                When are they going to add wayland support?
                Never I guess.
                Eventually through some Xwayland-like layer that works for the entire environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
                  One reason is multi-window tabbing. I believe it still works in plasma 3 and 4. They refuse to implement it for some reason in newer versions saying it won't work with CSD but plenty of people argue it would work fine and look fine.
                  wow. since I use a bunch of vscode windows I've been dreaming about this feature. didn't realize that KDE used to have it. I was thinking the tabs should stick out like beos.

Comment

How it is profitable? Problem with that is that it could be crazy idea, but working. But as showcase for RH when divorce with GNOME happened and GTK multi-platform toolkit was born. But if GTK is not only C oriented, but QT is in C++ land, question which is better still remains because forcing to use Trinity(not KDE anymore?) could open also law question if making Trinity with GTKSharp is mind blowing case for Supreme Court or buying this Trinity little thing can cause question if The Chosen One Desktop is still in the hands of unemployed lawyers or employed Trinity free-time developers catching bugs for sharpness of Gtk...

KDE used to have also Windows dev version, but prime directive for KDE today is maybe KDE Neon and when LEDs will overtake the world...
                    Last edited by elbar; 29 October 2023, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X