KDE Plasma 6 Alpha Approaches Next Week With The Soft Feature Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Alpha Approaches Next Week With The Soft Feature Freeze

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Alpha Approaches Next Week With The Soft Feature Freeze

The KDE Plasma 6 Alpha release is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, 8 November, along with the soft feature freeze for Plasma 6.0 at that time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have never been as excited about KDE as now with upcoming Plasma6. It just seems so polished, and many showstoppers caused by Qt lagging behind being finally solved, like tier-1 wayland support. People that criticize fedora kde for going wayland only might have to eat their words once they experience Plasma6

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      People that criticize fedora kde for going wayland only might have to eat their words once they experience Plasma6
      Nah. They will still be mad at what Fedora does with KDE and Gnome. It doesn't matter that they themselves are using XFCE or summat xD

Comment

Can you already integrate the upcoming KDE plasma 6.0 alpa in Arch via the Pacman.Config
        With:
        [kde-unstable]
        Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist​

???

THX for Support
        ​

Comment

While I liked what I saw when I tried 6th version built with kdesrc, it's a shame they haven't had time / manpower to finally unify input methods management within 1 applet for switching layouts. Seriously, this is a huge advantage of Gnome over Plasma that Gnome users don't need to install and configure 2 ways of switching keyboard layouts / input methods that sometimes clash with each other, they just press their usual keycombo and switch to whatever language they want to write in. This could be such a great usability improvement.
          On a sidenote, I haven't heard of any news regarding Wayland multi-touch touchpad gestures customization, I guess no progress on this? Sad...

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
            While I liked what I saw when I tried 6th version built with kdesrc, it's a shame they haven't had time / manpower to finally unify input methods management within 1 applet for switching layouts. Seriously, this is a huge advantage of Gnome over Plasma that Gnome users don't need to install and configure 2 ways of switching keyboard layouts / input methods that sometimes clash with each other, they just press their usual keycombo and switch to whatever language they want to write in. This could be such a great usability improvement.
            On a sidenote, I haven't heard of any news regarding Wayland multi-touch touchpad gestures customization, I guess no progress on this? Sad...
            ngraham
            What about this? Please...

Comment

Plasma 5.27.9 working so well, and asking myself how am I going to let it go. But I can't stop myself being excited about Plasma 6 either. There was news a couple weeks ago about Windows becoming a subscription service. Linux with Plasma and Wayland is so good now that I could just delete the Windows partition before that happens. Hmmm, maybe I should ...

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                I have never been as excited about KDE as now with upcoming Plasma6. It just seems so polished, and many showstoppers caused by Qt lagging behind being finally solved, like tier-1 wayland support. People that criticize fedora kde for going wayland only might have to eat their words once they experience Plasma6
                Yeah, they will eat their words alright after they witness their unsaved work being silently discarded on PC shutdown because Plasma Wayland doesn't support session management.

Comment

Originally posted by equeim View Post

Yeah, they will eat their words alright after they witness their unsaved work being silently discarded on PC shutdown because Plasma Wayland doesn't support session management.
                  Whoever shuts down the computer without saving their work deserves that. Besides there can be a power outage, not losing data is application's responsibility by doing periodic saves and/or maintaining a cache. So I didn't even know it was not working since I always disable session saving to shutdown and boot faster.

See this? And go eat your words now.
                  Screenshot_20231104_094547.png
                  Last edited by mrg666; 04 November 2023, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Whoever shuts down the computer without saving their work deserves that. Besides there can be a power outage, not losing data is application's responsibility by doing periodic saves and/or maintaining a cache. So I didn't even know it was not working since I always disable session saving to shutdown and boot faster.

See this? And go eat your words now.
                    Screenshot_20231104_094547.png
                    While I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment (defense in depth and so on), I agree that I always disable session saving. I prefer to have my desktop start from a known, manually snapshotted state and application support for X11 session management was always a mess in my experience of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X