Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA-VAAPI-Driver 0.0.11 Delivers Various Fixes

Phoronix: NVIDIA-VAAPI-Driver 0.0.11 Delivers Various Fixes

The NVIDIA-VAAPI-Driver is an open-source independently-developed project that implements the Video Acceleration API (VA-API) atop NVIDIA's NVDEC interface so that software like Mozilla Firefox can enjoy video hardware acceleration on Linux using NVIDIA's proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excelent!
    I am curious about the NVDEC effective compared to the CPU.​

Comment

No one even mentions the name of the driver developer/maintainer - the great El Farto.

Comment

Sadly NVIDIA does not have a power-saving video hardware acceleration method in Linux. NVDEC will invoke CUDA and force the GPU into a higher power state. This project only maps the NVDEC interfaces to VA-API so it cannot solve the problem. Notebook users are better off using the VA-API in iGPU to watch videos. There is one exception, VDPAU, but it has been almost deprecated due to lack of application support.

Not really a bug, more a question, and probably something that should be addressed at the driver level. I just enabled hardware acceleration in firefox using this, and while it works great I'm seei...
        Last edited by nyanmisaka; 06 November 2023, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Firefox lost its roots. It became woke, and lost its focus on being alternative browser which supports many various hardwares/OS/drivers.
          Anything that becomes woke sooner or later turns into shit.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            Firefox lost its roots. It became woke, and lost its focus on being alternative browser which supports many various hardwares/OS/drivers.
            Anything that becomes woke sooner or later turns into shit.
            Take your pills before posting on the Internet.

Comment

I am amazed though that they implemented language translation into latest versions of Firefox, that did not dial google.

Comment

Originally posted by nyanmisaka View Post
                Notebook users are better off using the VA-API in iGPU to watch videos.
                Notebook/laptop users will be always better of using the iGPU for video decoding, often even keeping the dGPU active at idle does use more power then just running software encoding on the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko

Children, libtard alert.

Their love to DRM, their pocket suggestions have propaganda in them, their denial of good extensions all in the name of 'user security', they are practically a year old version of google chrome. Everything chrome does, firefox does year later, whenever good or bad.
                  ​You post like a libertarian so that phrase works for you, too.

Still no native python support. Their extensions use their own language that no one knows. Their private tabs are a joke. Where cookies and session information leaks from one tab to another.
                  Originally posted by Firefox
                  JavaScript, HTML, and CSS are languages that no one knows?

Their private tabs are a joke. Where cookies and session information leaks from one tab to another.
                  Your bug is my feature. I use private tab sharing as part of my workflow. Spacebar heating.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Your bug is my feature. I use private tab sharing as part of my workflow. Spacebar heating.
                    Why not both? Open a new private window to isolate cookies, etc, from other private tabs/windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X