Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

It's been an exciting week in the KDE space as along with releasing Plasma 6.0 Alpha, they have also committed to shipping Plasma 6.0 with the Wayland session being enabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it will sure be nice if the HDR stuff can work with mpv. It seems like the hdr stuff uses some kind of vulkan layer as a layer inbetween to add VK_EXT_hdr_metadata​. I think this is what mpv should need. Wondering if anyone running the preliminary HDR stuff could test it since I wont be able to for a bit. it really would be nice since im relying on a pinned amdvlk version atm

Comment

Time to try KDE again as a main DE, after a few months after official release of course. Still good news !

Comment

Time to try again for me too, I wasn't pleased by the kde3/4 versions, but a lot has changed since, and this could be interesting for an OOTB full DE installation !

Comment

And I'll continue to patiently wait for this bug to be squashed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422529

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            And I'll continue to patiently wait for this bug to be squashed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422529
            That's an annoying one, that's for sure. As far as I can tell, KDE programs and whatnot are the only things on my system that have plain text files under ~/.config. Everything else uses ~/.config/$name

Heck, some KDE color schemes still use ~/.kde4. Krita still uses ~/.local/share and not ~/.local/share/krita

That's all I've noticed. Some $HOME housecleaning and reorganization would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              it will sure be nice if the HDR stuff can work with mpv. It seems like the hdr stuff uses some kind of vulkan layer as a layer inbetween to add VK_EXT_hdr_metadata​. I think this is what mpv should need. Wondering if anyone running the preliminary HDR stuff could test it since I wont be able to for a bit. it really would be nice since im relying on a pinned amdvlk version atm
              I got a new monitor as my birthday present to myself. Amazon is saying it'll arrive on the 27th. If someone else hasn't tested it out by then, I'll try to remember to do it.

I can't tell you how excited I am to downgrade from a fixed 4K60 to 1440p144 21:9 with FreeSync Premium Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I got a new monitor as my birthday present to myself. Amazon is saying it'll arrive on the 27th. If someone else hasn't tested it out by then, I'll try to remember to do it.

I can't tell you how excited I am to downgrade from a fixed 4K60 to 1440p144 21:9 with FreeSync Premium Pro.
                Nice, I myself would love one of those for sure, but im the kind of person who really adores his 4k monitor, maybe one day Ill get one of those fancy monitor arms when I decide to upgrade or expand my monitors

Comment

Just yesterday, I was baffled about Ark zstd being only STed.
                  Now, it would also be nice if file override prompt wouldn't display files to be replaced as 0 bytes in size. Not exactly a new issue, wonder what the bugtracker says.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Nice, I myself would love one of those for sure, but im the kind of person who really adores his 4k monitor, maybe one day Ill get one of those fancy monitor arms when I decide to upgrade or expand my monitors
                    My current monitor is a 55" 4K TV. While nice for media consumption and video, 4K is overkill for my GPU playing games and there isn't a scaling solution that I find acceptable as well as it is a real pain in the ass to do text editing on a TV across the room. FSR ghosting is really bad on a 55" 4K screen since the pixels are spread out further.

I swear to god that they, AMD FSR devs, don't test stuff out on moronic consumer setups.

Comment

Working...
                    X