Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking Five Linux Distros Against Windows 11 On The Threadripper PRO 7995WX / HP Z6 G5 A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Five Linux Distros Against Windows 11 On The Threadripper PRO 7995WX / HP Z6 G5 A

Phoronix: Benchmarking Five Linux Distros Against Windows 11 On The Threadripper PRO 7995WX / HP Z6 G5 A

Given the interest in the AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX Linux performance and the benchmarks of Ubuntu Linux vs. Windows 11 on this 96-core / 192-thread workstation processor, I've extended that comparison to now feature five Linux distributions up against Microsoft Windows on this HP Z6 G5 A workstation for greater perspective into the results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow Windows did a lot worse than I expected.
    Almost as if the SSD is responsible for all that performance loss. Yeah, totally couldn't be issues with anything such as (but not limited to) schedulers or power governors.

Comment

Yeah, seems like either horribly unoptimized/missing chipset/CPU drivers, or wrong power plan.

Comment

No CachyOS?

Comment

Its amazing how we went from having CPUS that were slow from day one (8088 to 80286 for example, would show you a very clear jump in performance) to these monsters that very few of us would be able to take full advantage of them!

Comment

Windows results just look completely off, as if for Linux gcc -O3 -march=native -flto was used and Windows had generic (-mtune=generic) x86-64 -O2 binaries without LTO.

Or maybe Windows 11 doesn't set power management for this CPU correctly. I'd test Windows 10 Enterprise (can be tested for for free for up to 180 days) instead which is tuned for massively parallel CPUs and maximum performance.

Also the Enterprise edition doesn't have most of the Microsoft crap (MS Store, a ton of unnecessary apps/applets/etc.).

Michael

Please give Windows 10 Enterprise a try next time. Thanks!
            Last edited by avis; 29 November 2023, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Windows results just look completely off, as if for Linux gcc -O3 -march=native -flto was used and Windows had generic (-mtune=generic) x86-64 -O2 binaries without LTO.
              I usually compile my Windows 11 binaries with LTO, PGO, O3 & march=native to make sure it keeps up with Linux. /s

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

I usually compile my Windows 11 binaries with LTO, PGO, O3 & march=native to make sure it keeps up with Linux. /s
                Cool, unfortunately Michael doesn't reveal how exactly he tests Windows.

PGO is a lot of extra work, I don't expect him to use it.

Comment

HEL88

Windows has won once again by a large margin.. in number of last place finishes! You can now crawl out from under the rock.
                  Last edited by Volta; 29 November 2023, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Windows results just look completely off
                    No, the results are like expected. Furthermore, there's a lot more performance to gain from Linux by tuning. For example every distribution (except Ubuntu) was using powersave governor. Not to mention some debugging options turned on. Btw. Michael thanks for including performance governor in Ubuntu.
                    Last edited by Volta; 29 November 2023, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X