Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 24.2 Alpha 1 Builds Available For Testing

Phoronix: LibreOffice 24.2 Alpha 1 Builds Available For Testing

The LibreOffice 24.2 Alpha 1 builds for Linux, Windows, and macOS are now available for testing of this leading open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has anyone else stopped caring about this project?
    I was excited many years ago. But they're never going to catch MS, and alternatives that don't try to be full blown MSO replacements are likely the better choice.

Comment

Which Libreoffice is this? I am using on daily basis this one https://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/ (included in Ubuntu), but there is 7.6 latest version.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        I was excited many years ago. But they're never going to catch MS, and alternatives that don't try to be full blown MSO replacements are likely the better choice.
        I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I've given up on LibreOffice, it feels so old and outdated, it is so clunky. Too confusing, too complicated. Yes, I tried the new versions, and yes I tried change the interface to the "modern" Ribbon interface, but LibreOffice still sucks.

So at work I use Microsoft Office, and at home I would use Google Docs.

Comment

Why would assume that a free software project that you never paid a cent for is going to be a 1:1 replacement for another software that a vendor poured hundreds of millions into? Multiple vendors like Collabora have a thriving business supporting LibreOffice for their customers. You are just not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I've given up on LibreOffice, it feels so old and outdated, it is so clunky. Too confusing, too complicated. Yes, I tried the new versions, and yes I tried change the interface to the "modern" Ribbon interface, but LibreOffice still sucks.

So at work I use Microsoft Office, and at home I would use Google Docs.
            There are things in libreoffice that are not in MSO. Some examples are regex in calc and file conversions and pdf exports via command line.

Comment

Libre is definitely better than Microsoft's suite: its open source, works on Linux, has regexp, hackable file formats... The problem with it is that the very idea of WYSIWYG is a broken nonsense that made people believe computers are utter garbage that can be only fought with. I bet we would be making colonies on Mars if not for all those billions of life hours wasted on fixing formatting, rescuing random stuff changed into a date or picking cringe slide animations (;

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
                The problem with it is that the very idea of WYSIWYG is a broken nonsense that made people believe computers are utter garbage that can be only fought with. I bet we would be making colonies on Mars if not for all those billions of life hours wasted on fixing formatting, rescuing random stuff changed into a date or picking cringe slide animations (;
                So I'm assuming you're a LaTeX guy?

Comment

Yes, at home I'm running a mix of Excel 2010 on Wine (for spreadsheets) and OnlyOffice (for text documents). At work I have Windows with Office 365 so no need to think about it.

Comment

I usually use Google apps at work and home, but sometimes still use LibreOffice. Their compatibly with Microsoft Office is sometimes better and let's me use some weird documents. Has it as nice an UI as MS Office or all the features? Probably not, but I don't use those features, it is good enough for my usage and it is free.

Comment

Working...
                    X