Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Lands NVIDIA Hardware Cursor Support & Other Last Minute Plasma 6.0 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Lands NVIDIA Hardware Cursor Support & Other Last Minute Plasma 6.0 Features

Phoronix: KDE Lands NVIDIA Hardware Cursor Support & Other Last Minute Plasma 6.0 Features

With this week's release of the Plasma 6.0 beta and beta milestones for KDE Frameworks 6 and the latest Gear apps, KDE has now entered the bug-fixing phase ahead of the stable releases coming up in February. But prior to that bug-fixing shift, a few more features were merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Added support for hardware cursors on NVIDIA GPUs within KWin's DRM backend.
    This was done by a Nvidia developer. Wether he did it on behalf of his employer or on his own time is not clear.

Comment

Originally posted by eszlari View Post

This was done by a Nvidia developer. Wether he did it on behalf of his employer or on his own time is not clear.
      Added support for hardware cursors on NVIDIA GPUs (Doğukan Korkmaztürk, link)​

It's even in the changelog. But not me now, I use AMD GPUs on my gaming laptop and will only switch to NVIDIA when their drivers are free like MESA and work just as well. But it will still take some time. The main thing is that KDE 6.0 will be good.​

Comment

Originally posted by SerialCool View Post
        and will only switch to NVIDIA when their drivers are free like MESA and work just as well.​
        You see avis ? It's not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel View Post

You see avis ? It's not that hard.
          Well, it can be "that hard" if you want -or need- now some or all the features offered only by nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Well, it can be "that hard" if you want -or need- now some or all the features offered only by nvidia...
            What are you on? I've been on Radeon 780m for half a year already.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

AFAIK the only NVidia specific features that even work on Linux are CUDA and their encoder. Both are definitely useful for a variety of reasons, but the number of people who actually depend on those features at home has to be a fraction of 1% of people.

Comment

Sidewheels for special nvidia kids, great.

Comment

So NVIDIA f*** you!

Comment

Well then... given the amount of bugs in Gnome's mutter increased for version 45 and also the many MR's being open for eternity (especially those from Daniel van Vugt).. I'll be switching to KDE when Fedora 40 drops.
                    A fresh install.

Comment

Working...
                    X