Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDB 14.1 Adds Support For DAP - Debugger Adapter Protocol

Phoronix: GDB 14.1 Adds Support For DAP - Debugger Adapter Protocol

GDB 14.1 has been released today as the newest version of the GNU Debugger for source-level debugging of C/C++, Rust, Fortran, Go, Ada, and other languages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be interesting if it works with CMake. As far as I know, Visual Studio is the only software to support debugging CMake.
    Thanks for another awesome GDB release!

Comment

I really don't use debuggers enough, I mainly just print to terminal, I should learn them, if lapce lands good debugger support, and supports gdb, ill take the time to learn

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        I really don't use debuggers enough, I mainly just print to terminal, I should learn them, if lapce lands good debugger support, and supports gdb, ill take the time to learn
        Don't start with learning GDB. Use KDevelop, Visual Studio, Eclipse or something similar. Once you got used to the concept and the advantages of a debugger, GDB is not much more complicated compared to a UI.

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post
          As far as I know, Visual Studio is the only software to support debugging CMake.
          Qt Creator 12 supports CMake debugging: https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-creator-12-released

Comment

LSP and DAP are one of the few Microsoft inventions that are actually very nice and useful to open source community. It's nice thing that GDB supports it, that should improve GDB integration with light text editors. LLDB already supports it but I prefer GDB because it supports debuginfod unlike LLDB.
            Last edited by dragon321; 03 December 2023, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Ah, I thought it was ARM CoreSight DAP - which would remove the need for external debugging tools for many mcus and mpus alike.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                LSP and DAP are one of the few Microsoft inventions that are actually very nice and useful to open source community. It's nice thing that GDB supports it, that should improve GDB integration with light text editors. LLDB already supports it but I prefer GDB because it supports debuginfod unlike LLDB.
                If you are not averse to Microsoft as many people are based on their history, there is plenty of other things they do including hiring multiple Linux kernel subsystem maintainers including one of the maintainers of the Linux kernel stable series, Python upstream performance work, C++ standards, Rust, Systemd etc. They are pervasive since Azure primarily runs Linux and that's their biggest business. Not Windows and Office anymore which are over-saturated.

Comment

Weren't there already some DAP plugins for neovim that worked with gdb? So how did it work until now?

* https://github.com/mfussenegger/nvim-dap
                  * https://github.com/rcarriga/nvim-dap-ui

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

If you are not averse to Microsoft as many people are based on their history, there is plenty of other things they do including hiring multiple Linux kernel subsystem maintainers including one of the maintainers of the Linux kernel stable series, Python upstream performance work, C++ standards, Rust, Systemd etc. They are pervasive since Azure primarily runs Linux and that's their biggest business. Not Windows and Office anymore which are over-saturated.
                    I'm not averse to Microsoft or any other company at general. If company makes a good thing then I'll give credit to it. I don't like some things that Microsoft did but there are things from Microsoft I like. For example VS Code is my main text editor on every platform I use because it's good piece of software and I can't find any reason why I shouldn't use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X